Mandrake 10 for amd 64 release?

imwithstupid

Yep, i'm a standart member too.

As a silver member i would have give you the torrent so that you can test it for us.

May be a silver member can help ?

We don't permit this sort of activity on our board. While we can't stop you from sharing things privately, we don't allow public sharing of Mandrake files which are not already publicly available via the mirrors.

However, as an FYI, the torrents only work from the IP which they were downloaded to.

tyme,

i didn't meant to publicly spread the torrent.

I was just thinking that a silver member could privatly give mdk10.0amd64 to gowator, and in exchange he would write a review on the web for the information of all of us, and a little publicity for mandrakesoft.

But i'm far from having the money to buy an amd64, so i can wait 10.1 ! :-)

what tyme means is regardless of whether we think MDK is acting inits own best wishes the board will not be a part of releasing files it has decided for whatever reason to restrict.

I happen to think their policy REALLY sucks...

it puts me in catch-22 in that I found 9.2 (64) to be OK but hardly a rich distro compared to the 32 bit version.

I hope the 10-64 is better, the RC looked better but had loads of bugs...

now i have to face a choice, pay Silver membership rates or buy the AMD 64 which is massively overpriced.

As usual Mandrake cant be clear about what you get for any particular product BEFORE you buy.

That is historically bronze membership is a donation you dont actually get anything for it.

Silver - well it depends, you find in one versin (9.1) you get staroffice in the powerpack and the next 9.2 its only for silver members.

At the same time you get Openoffice included....

Mandrake seem to be giving with one had and taking with the other...

when you add stuff like the commercial (but free as in beer) drivers for NVIDIA etc. that are only available to powerpack ... or is it club members this release....

basically it seems like you need to have both silver membership AND buy the powerpacks just to be sure of the part which is important for you (maybe a linmodem driver) being included.....

The marketing part that really stinks is I can go and buy Suse9.1 professional much cheaper than the 64bit powerpack (which really isnt a powerpack becuase its only 4CD's not the normal 7)

This leaves me thinking if Mandrake 10 - 64 is so good why do they want the money off you first! I have a long list of powerpacks I bought and I used to have club membership, indeed they still email me the newsflashes....

Yet Im left wondering if I really want this ... will it have the stuf I want or will I then find for instanceI also need a silver club membership!!!

My company has gold membership do I presume if I ask around Ill be able to get a copy.... still it would be nice to know exactly what is included.

I don't think you're quite being fair to MandrakeSoft. The commercial versions have always been Silver+, with the download edition for Bronze. It was the same when 10 was released for i586 and from memory when they released 9.2 originally. And I'm sure that as with every other MDK release the ISOs will appear on the public servers in the not too distant future.

On a side note, I wasn't a fan of the 9.2 release for AMD64 but since swapping to the first beta of 10 have only encountered a few (not particulary big) problems. From my experience at least they seem to have got it right this time.

PS Gowator sorry this is just me being slow (and deprived of tea) but don't understand the comment about the Nvidia drivers. :( Haven't the Nvidia drivers always been available for download for all Club members?

EDIT:

Probably unrelated but does anyone know why the hdlist.cz has dissappeared from the 10 mirror?

ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake.../Mandrake/base/

Edited by mtweidmann

Hmm dont know about being unfair on their marketing but point taken about they have always been like this.

So far as i kow the NVIDIA RPM is only available on the famous CD4 along with winmodem drivers etc. etc.

I think its silly of MDK to cripple the driver functionality of the DL editions .. especially with regards to modem drivers!

Its perhaps luck that the USA has a large number of MDK users or perhaps not, probably the fact they have broadband so modem drivers are not such an issue as some ther countries... I still cant get broadband at my house in the UK. .... (only 2 miles from the M25) but even without that its only the last 2-3 years its really been common in the UK whereas America had broadband far earlier.

Most of the world still has at best dial-up access...and top me without Internet access Mandrake is crap.... you cant even RIP MP3 or play a DVD etc.

I understand WHY these are not on the CD's but the fact remains the distro is a bit of a dog till you get them.... not to mention updates etc. and you cat really do this if you have no internet.

Also Mandrake make a big deal that the commercial drivers are only in powerpacks and silver membership + ... and try and imply its bevcause they are not GPL... but thats just plain BS... theirs nothing stopping them making the drivers available except they are playing at limiting functionality until you pay....

the real prob is that they are crippling the functionality without making it plain....

look at urpmi .... its great but Mandrake dont mention it or easy urpmi...

this is a makor (if not THE major) + that mandrake has on other RPM based distro's....

If your going to withhold drivers then make it clear.... I think they think people will try the distro and like it and then go and buy it to get the 'commercial' drivers... and acroread...

I think they need to wake up......

The average consumer will try it and in the absense of clear documentation assume thats all there is. How many times have you been in Pc world behind they guys going ... but I though this linux thing was free?

So what is likely to happen is noobie says ...yep tried it but my modem didnt work....so I went back to winXX or tried it and my modem didnt work so I went to Suse...

in other wors

Gowator sorry this is just me being slow

No thats the point, I dont think so.... but thats becuase they dont actually make it clear. Thats why they loose out over Linspire etc. who make it very clear (if misleading) what is included etc.

Check the business model:

Linspire/ ... Pay for distro but get all drivers you need. I just put in a PCMCIA wifi card and it just worked! Then have additional charges (like club) for other commerical SW but with discounts...

Mandrake... make the basis available free but then sell the enabling parts like drivers... which are actually free anyway just not opensource! by the time you got the drivers working from source etc. you have no reason any longer to buy from mandrake, indeed after they made it difficult you feel sligghhtly nefgative about their marketing ....

Anyway point is we as a board respect their wishes on links stuff but that doesnt mean we agree with them. Its their choice but that doesnt mean by carrying out their wishes we all think its the best for them, more they are grown ups and can decide for themselves!

I havent tried suse64 yet.... Im tempted...

NOUVEAU ! Mandrakelinux 10.0 pour AMD64 119.9 EUR

and I ONLY get AMD64... so if I also want x86

NOUVEAU ! 10.0 Mandrakelinux POWERPACK 79.9 EUR

but then StarOffice for instance is available to Silver Club but NOT powerpack!

silver membership 120 € year

Thats 320€ per year! (assuming a single release per year)

or

NOUVEAU ! 10.0 Mandrakelinux POWERPACKPLUS-OFFRE DE SOUSCRIPTION

Economisez 30% ! 345 EUR

(I can pay more ?? to get whatever is in this ....)

If i look deep enough

Contenu 
8 CD et 1 DVD
2 Manuels : Guide de démarrage et Guide d'Administration serveur

Le Guide de démarrage vous explique comment utiliser votre poste de travail Mandrakelinux
Le Guide d'administration serveur détaille les principales fonctionnalités serveur de la PowerPack+

Services 
90 jours de support web gratuit et 5 incidents téléphoniques - Support Serveur
1 mois gratuit Mandrakeclub - Niveau Silver
1 mois gratuit au Mandrakeonline - Solutions Personnelles
Note- Les jeux de CD des deux prochaines versions ne comprennent pas de support technique

OR

SUSE Linux 9.1 Professional

Now Shipping!

Price: $89.95

including 64 and 32 bit + StarOffice + http://store.suse.com/dr/sat4/ec_MAIN.Entr...RP=0&CACHE_ID=0

Its just so much more obvious...

The thing is if you know whatt your doing you can get ALL this except strOffice for FREE from Mandrake....

Its just not competitive... just the AMD64 by itself is more than Suese9.1 professional!

So far as i kow the NVIDIA RPM is only available on the famous CD4 along with winmodem drivers etc. etc.

the CD4 which is part of the Standard member download from the club does not contain nvidia drivers or winmodem drivers.

exactly .. how confusing is that?

I know its available on the powerpack 'commerical' applications CD.

And specifically for AMD64 its on CD4....

yet it wasnt available in the download Rc1 edition and the kernel sources were not working for the nvidia install for the 64 bit driver from nvidia...

hence I was stuffed unless i either patched and compiled my own kernel from kernel.org or buy the powerpack... but then it doesnt actually say its included!

for example

Noyaux Linux 2.4 et 2.6, KDE 3.2, GNOME 2.4, XFree86 4.3, Samba 3.0, Apache 2.0.48, PHP 4.3.4, Glibc 2.3.3, MySQL 4.0.18, ProFTPd 1.2.9, Postfix 2.0.18, Kolab 1.0, Webmin 1.121, URPMI et plus encore !

OK great all this and much more.... (Noyaux=kernel btw)

but it still doesnt say if it includes the NVIDIA RPM .....

this is what is so annoying for their marketing...

Im bored with this (I have a new toy arriving) so I expect i just want it to work... but the only way to find out (except asking here) is to buy it and hope its included.