Editing .xinitrc

Not sure, but I would try it in a file called .xinitrc in /home/student/ (notice the . before xinitrc in this version of the file). You can experiment there without trouble. It will execute that rather than the global one if it is 'student' that is starting X (or if X is started automatically for 'student' when they log in).

It might be easier, if you're looking to just have the browser, to install fluxbox. Then have your ~/.xinitrc file say something like this:

mozilla-firefox &
exec fluxbox

From there, you can edit the fluxbox menu file (backup the original, just in case) to not have any other entries except maybe logout or exit.

If you install Xorg (maybe you can do this with XFree86 as well, I'm not sure), you can disable the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out of X as well.

Just a thought.

So ONLY the browser will come up?

what exactly do you mean? What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want a wm? DE? or just a gui with a browser and no menus, panels etc....?

I think he's trying to set it up like a kiosk, so just the browser and nothing else.

If that's the case, fluxbox + whatever browser you want should be exactly what you need.

there's always twm

~/.xinitrc

#!/bin/bash

#======START PROGRAMS=======#
#(sleep 10; gkrellm) &
#(sleep 12; Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 -xg 100x37+450+455 -f orange) &
#(sleep 12; Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 -xg 117x62+0+130 -f LightGray) &
#(sleep 15; Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 -xg 117x62+0+130 -b LightGray --font-fx none --pointer-color black --cursor-text-color red2 -c gray --double-buffer -f gray1) &

#=======MISC=======#
#(sleep 12; idesk) &
enable_X11_numlock
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/
#export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1
#export LC=C 
#export LC_ALL=C 
#export QT_XFT=true
#export GDK_USE_XFT=1
#(sleep 1; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

#=========Waimea============#
#/usr/bin/wampager &
#(sleep 5; /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon) &
#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/waimea

#=========Fluxbox===========#
#Esetroot -s /data/walls/fseagul.jpg
#(sleep 10; Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 -xg 117x62+0+30 -b LightGray --font-fx none --pointer-color black --cursor-text-color red2 -c gray --double-buffer -f azure4) &
#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox

#=========Enlightenment=====#
#(sleep 9;  Eterm --trans --scrollbar 0 --buttonbar 0 --pointer-color black --cursor-text-color red2 -c DarkGray --double-buffer --font-fx emboss -xg 100x69+0+0 -b gray1 -f gray100) &
#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment

#=========GNOME2========#
#exec /usr/bin/startgnome

#=========KDE3-1=========#
#exec /usr/bin/startkde

#=========twm============#
(sleep 3; epiphany) &
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/twm

Edited by bvc

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to edit the .xinitrc and get rid of the last line and enter the firefox browser there but to no avail. It won't work. I copied it into the home folder and added a "." infront of the file name. So, I guess I am not sure what my options are. I haven't had much time to work on this for a while and I need to get it done asap. Any help is greatly appreciated.