Canon I250

SwiftDeath

I plug it an and it detects it fine and everything, I just have no clue which driver to use. I dry raw driver and it didn't work.

Which driver should I pick, and if their isn't one where should I Dl one and what folder should I put it in?

Thanks in advance,

SwiftDeath

I use the CUPS setup at localhost:631. With a canon, I always had good results with the bjc6000 driver. There were usually three to choose from, and the recommended default never worked.

Try each driver. I had to play with different drivers until I got a page that looked right. Have you checked Canon's sight? I did not find them cooperative!

I plugged it into windows and it worked fine.

I also did a lot more searching and I found a new zealand site offereing the drivers.

Canon i250 drivers here

When you scroll down you'll eventually see one listed

i250 Linux Driver v.Linux

Their are like 7 of them. Which one/ones do I install in order to just add the correct driver to CUPS and have the printer function normally using cups;

and not the command line or anything weird like that.

Edited by SwiftDeath

Well, the tarballs wil require compiling. (.tar.gz) Did you look at the last one? It is html explaining the drivers. I would try the two rpm's, since Mandrake is an rpm system.

Get the one that says "modules for CUPS". It's an rpm and Mandrake uses CUPS.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so close to solving this issue. And I'll be able to print at last. I found a tutorial on another site and it turns out that I need to install 2 rpms, and I only installed 1.

Heres the tutorial so you maybe be able to help me. (You can skip reading if, its just added info, for reference.)

1.  Installing Linux and BJ Filter

This section describes how to install Red Hat Linux 9 and BJ Filter.

1.1  Installing Red Hat Linux 9

Install Red Hat Linux 9. For details, see the manual that comes with the package.

This manual uses Mozilla in the operation examples. Mozilla is installed as the standard browser when [Personal Desktop] is selected as the Red Hat Linux 9 installation type.

1.2  Installing BJ Filter

BJ Filter is a software that is required to use Canon BJ printers from Linux. For installation details, see "1.  Installing BJ Filter" in the "User's Guide for BJ Filter Version 2.30."

This section describes an example in which the rpm files are copied to a directory named "work."

1. Start Linux, and log in as root.

2. Copy the rpm files.

Create the "work" directory, and copy the rpm files to that directory.

3. Install BJ Filter and the additional module for CUPS support.

1. Click [system Tools] from the main menu, and then click [Terminal] to start GNOME Terminal.

2. Use the cd command to change the current directory to the directory containing the copied rpm files.

3. Enter "rpm -ivh bjfilteri250-2.3-0.i386.rpm" in GNOME Terminal.

4. Enter "rpm -ivh bjfiltercups-2.3-0.i386.rpm" in GNOME Terminal.

4. Restart the CUPS daemon.

Enter "/etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart" in GNOME Terminal.

5. Register the printer to the spooler.

To register the printer with the name "i250," enter "lpadmin -p i250 -m canoni250.ppd -v canon_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E" in GNOME Terminal.

The printer name that was registered to the spooler is used in the print command. You should use a name that is easy to remember (for example, "i250").

6. Set the default printer.

Set the default printer to be used when the printer name is omitted in the print command.

If you want to use "i250" as the default printer, enter "lpadmin -d i250" in GNOME Terminal.

7. Click [Log Out] from the main menu to restart the computer.

So anyways when get to step 3 and type this:

3. Enter "rpm -ivh bjfilteri250-2.3-0.i386.rpm" in GNOME Terminal.

I get this error:

[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -ivh bjfilteri250-2.3-0.i386.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:

libpng.so.2 is needed by bjfilteri250-2.3-0

So I try to get that library via urpmi.... Heres what I get:

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi libpng

Everything already installed

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi libpng.so.2

no package named libpng.so.2

[root@localhost Desktop]#

As you can see its already installed and the specefic one I need doesn't exist. Can someone help me I beleive once I get that library and install that library it will fiinally work.

Thanks so much,

SwiftDeath

Edited by SwiftDeath

AT LAST ITS SOLVED!!! I got some help from a guy named HauntedUnix in an IRC channel called #mandrake on irc.freenode.net

He read this post and had many suggestions, but luckily one of them hit us both rich.

He suggested downling libpng2 externally from this link:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html

That fixed the problem and allowed me to continue thru step 3 and all the way to Step 5.

I caught this later the fact that it was installing my printer with a parallel port and not usb (the way its connected). After that I changed it to USB. And it printed the test page fine.

So now my printer works, and I can become totally windows-less once I reconfigure my ATI 7000.

Thanks so much guys, I owe you all a lot