my window manager screen is MIA

chin808

Things have been a little unusual around here as of late- I have been trying some new things with mandy only to find alot of overall quirkness. I started the machine today ( actually my roomate) to find myself in the text only login... so I login and startx to get to kde, fine that works (fonts are smaller) I want to log off kde now and it takes me back to the text screen.... maybe you can see where this is going... I miss the nice gui with the user login and the nice list of WM's at my disposal. How do I get the graphical login back? I tried drakconfig but it didnt help.

Thanx

-C

To get the graphical boot back, go into MCC -> Hardware (I think, wherever you configure your X server) and turn on the option to Start X at boot.

EDIT

er...tyme and I posted at the same time, I think his first answer is the correct one partially. I think it's Hardware -> Display Manager (why it's there, I'll never know). I'll double check when I get home if you still can't find it. If you do find it, please post the MCC path for us so we can get this sorted out.

chkconfig --list

will tell you if it's set to run at init 5

chkconfig dm on

will have it do so

chkconfig dm off

yurns it off a boot

service -s

will tell you if it's running

service dm start

will start it

service dm stop

will stop it.

Yes, MCC>Hardware

;)

kdm

mdk-kdm

gdm

?

Tip: install Xtart

urpmi Xtart

so that next time this happens...and there will be a next time, you can type;

Xtart

at init 3 and get a menu...it's the way to go! hehehe!....yes, I've had a few ;)

Edited by bvc

just booted into MDK 10.0 OE to double check:

Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Display Manager to set your display manager (this was under "Hardware" in previous MDK versions)

Mandrake Control Center -> System -> Services

look for the service "dm" and check the "on boot" box then click OK

I checked with chkconfig --list, and it says 5 is on, then I rechecked it in the services, again, on at boot.... this machine has been going crazy lately... now my mousewheel wont work and when I goto look at the properties for it its set to the wrong thing, so I fix it and check to see if it took and it has reverted back to generic settings..... WAHHHHH :wall:

this machine has been going crazy lately... now my mousewheel wont work

cancel that... it scrolls from left to right instead of up and down :wall::wall::screwy::wall:

:huh:

that's a new one

try checking /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for the ZAxisMapping option in the mouse section...what's it set to? i.e.:

Option   "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

it's set to "4 5" in this example (which is what it is for my system)

Also, what Protocol?

let me boot into mandrake and see if i can help you with that init problem.

aight, here we go...

Mandrake Control Center -> Boot -> Autologin

check the "Launch your graphical environment when your system starts" box, and if you don't want to automitically login then obviously select that radio button.

Well now im writing this from winblows... eeeeccchhh This is the first time ever I have had such serious problems with mandy that I cant even get to kde. I guess the xserver is messed up and I really am not good at command line as of yet. It gave me some nice error messages the first of which nvidia related... something about not being able to load the kernel module. it says that the version of xfree Im running is not supported... I dunno my CE is finally acting up. Any ideas? Remember im in winxp now :furious3:

:o

yeah, get OE? :D

seriously, I was in debian for almost 2 weeks (not a bad thing) when CE's kde/X were screwed up. I had to get new cooker updates. This should have been resolved without cooker though....have you updated everything? I never did figure out the culprit....hard to tell with 300MB of updates ;)

for gui at boot? In /etc/inittab change

id:3:initdefault:

to

id:5:initdefault: