my window manager screen is MIA

chin808

yes you can edit this file by loging in as root at the text prompt and using "vi"

Step 1:

Step 2:

type:

cd /etc

Step 3:

type:

vi inittab

Step 4:

scroll to the line that has

id:3:initdefault:

(it should be the first line that does not have a # sign by it)

Step 5:

press the insert key on your keyboard

delete the 3 and replace it with a 5

you line should look like this now

id:5:initdefault:

now press the ESC key

Step 6:

time to save and close, do this by scrolling back to the top of the screen and type

:wq

ps. you shoul notice that when you type ":" that it appears at the bottom bar on the screen along with the "wq"

Step 7:

you can now press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, and the Gui boot should come up again :D

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL WORK!!! If it does not, plz tell me, i have hat to use vi many times to fix XF86Config-4 and Inittab

oh and by the way, once you get back into the GUI download MDK 10 OE and install it, it is much less "buggier" lol

Edited by Sherpa

Thanx sherpa, I gave it a try lastnight but it jus reverts to init 3 and then the error message after startx. I got the 3 isos for OE lastnight on my gf's mac but the burn didnt work right so Im gonna try getting the cd/ network installer for debian and give it a go... also there is a magazine at the bookstare with a full copy of suse 9.1 for $11 so I might rty that as well... then I can reburn the isos with a QUALITY app like k3b and reinstall my beloved mandy ;)