Certifications

Vicki

The people that I know are certified in both M$ and Linux (OK well it's just one guy) since you probably won't get to work in a Linux only environment. I just want to see if I can learn enough to pass the Linux+. Might not be as difficult since they are changing it in the 4th quarter to deemphazie the hardware aspects. I don't know a coaxial cable from a fiber optic cable but I'm pretty strong in the software dept. They are also including security which will be fun. Should be an interesting journey. :D

It depends where you are and how much your willing to pay...

Ive been working for the same co. now for 6 years so Im a bit out of the market (which is why I got advice from my friend at the weekend)

Anyway, regarding hardware, I wouldnt let it freak you its simple really. Ive met assembly programmers who write embedded systems who cant plug in a network cable ... but IMHO thats just being stupid/stubborn/eliteist ????

Any HW no matter how exotic it souhnds usually boils dowen to a few plug-uin components and telling a fibre cable from coax or TP takes seconds to learn :D mainly its just understanding the names...

you might not be interested in the HW but its essential to grasp the basics.... and its also easy if someone shows you.

start now... buy a screwdriver today and pull your PC apart :D well better to pull apart ne not being used but ultimately its all pretty simple ..

From what I hear the intensive courses in the UK are about £3000 (about $5,500) whjich is I guess fine of you have the money.

Im leaning towards a RHCE but Id also look at Suse ...

My friend has always been a consultant and is used to paying for his education... he runs his 'education' like he's a company which he is.

So he see's $5500 as an expense . something to help him get a well paid job ... I was reading the RedHat training thingf the other day in the FAQ's about retraining.... and as they say this is part and parcel of being an IT professional today.

I just copied this

http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_f...hen_recertified

because it sounds sensible ....goo0d advice regardl;ess of which qualification you take!

When should I consider getting re-certified?

This is largely a matter of your own choice and that of any employer or customer who may have an interest in how current your certificate is. Know your market: if the installed base you service is in a hurry to upgrade to the newest release, or requires features and services in the latest release, then it may be time to re-certify. Regardless of whether you decide to re-certify you can keep your skills current by using and learning each new version of Red Hat Linux. Keep up with the new technologies, services, professional practices, and implementations that are required for using the current releases for today's networking, e-commerce, database, security, thin-client, file systems, and development requirements. This is part of being an IT professional.

• 4 weeks later...

So has anyone started?

I think i'm going to take the plung and start studying for RHCT & RHCE. Maybe i'll take them in a year. :lol2:

Does that mean i have to get rid of gentoo and just work on rh/fc2 & rhes 3 :screwy: