cant connect to the internet

ghost2003

Not much to go on...

First, can you ping your ethernet card?

Then can you ping the router?

If not, is the driver loaded for your network card, what is the output of ifconfig, and contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

Are you running a DHCP server on your router/elsewhere?

Can you connect from any of the other PCs?

Should do for now : )

the contents of ifcfg-eth0 are

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

My ethernet card is integrated in my motherboard but not made by the same company(apparantly), mandrake seems like it has a driver for it. The disc that came with my MOBO has all kinds of drivers but they are all for windows. Their website has linux drivers but only for the 2.2 and 2.4 kernel. I cant connect to the other PC's or router, my connection is listed as disconected and it wont connect.

if config output:

eth0

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:2C:08:68:47

inet6 addr: fe80::250:2cff:fe08:6847/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:2430 (2.3 Kb)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xb000

lo

Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:110 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:110 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:7522 (7.3 Kb) TX bytes:7522 (7.3 Kb)Untitled 1

Edited by ghost2003

What kind of motherboard is it and what kind of driver does Mandrake choose for your motherboard's NIC?

To check, look at your /etc/modules.conf file and see the line that starts with the line

alias eth0 <name of driver>

my motherboard is a soyo plus dragon 2. The card is a davicom 9102.a, well, thats what aida32 tells me. Linux sais something a little different but its something linke 100mbps, and other stuff describing the card. The driver is DAVICOM][<what linux calls my card> (looks like something like that)

Guest joeaudette

this is most likely the same problem as the 2 posts above.

I had this problem too, I could not browse the web after installing Mandrake 10 Official, though I could ping sites by name. To fix you have to disable ipv6:

to disable ipv6 you just add the following line to either /etc/modules.conf for 2.4 kernel or /etc/modprobe.conf for 2.6 kernel.

alias net-pf-10 off

Mandrake 10 uses the 2.6 kernel so you have to edit the /etc/modprobe.conf

Others have reported slow browsing but I could not browse at all until I did this.

Hope it helps.

Joe

Looks like your driver is probably ok - you wouldn't get anything under eth0 from ifconfig if it wasn't loading.

You have not got an IPv4 address assigned to eth0.

Do you NEED a dynamic (dhcp) address? You may not even have a DHCP server running - this would explain a lot...

If this is your own internal private network, try static addresses.

To test your card/driver:

As root: (see below)

# mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.old

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up (you should check the IP address of your router, and assign a number in the same range)

# ifconfig eth0

You should then get an ip address (192.168.0.2) in the output.

If this works, there's probably nothing wrong with your card/driver.

To be root in a console, type su then your password. You need to read the help files a little to learn how to edit files/use the console - an easyish way of file manipulation under a console is to use a file manager called mc - type mc at the command line. If it doesn't start, you will need to install it - type urpmi mc (as root).

Chris

Guest joeaudette

you can edit the file using Emacs

open a terminal and type su at the command prompt and hit enter, you will be prompted for the root password

next type emacs to open the emacs editor

Then use the file menu in emacs to open /etc/modprobe.conf

Best Regards,

Joe

Looks like your driver is probably ok - you wouldn't get anything under eth0 from ifconfig if it wasn't loading.

You have not got an IPv4 address assigned to eth0.

Do you NEED a dynamic (dhcp) address? You may not even have a DHCP server running - this would explain a lot...

If this is your own internal private network, try static addresses.

To test your card/driver:

As root: (see below)

# mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.old

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up (you should check the IP address of your router, and assign a number in the same range)

# ifconfig eth0

You should then get an ip address (192.168.0.2) in the output.

If this works, there's probably nothing wrong with your card/driver.

To be root in a console, type su then your password. You need to read the help files a little to learn how to edit files/use the console - an easyish way of file manipulation under a console is to use a file manager called mc - type mc at the command line. If it doesn't start, you will need to install it - type urpmi mc (as root).

Chris

This seems the best bet....

If you seit it manually like streeter says in the right range and you can ping the router at least your on your way.

At the moment you are not getting a DHCP address so no network and hence no internet.

You can even try a step before which is manually as root

ifdown eth0

ifup eth0

this should bounce the adapter and be more verbose when looking for the dhcp address.

alternatively

ifconfig eth0 up (instead of ifup eth0)

if this works then your halfway there....

added the line in the file but it didint help. If I type ifdown eth0 it tells me device not found or detected or soemthing like that. If I type ifup eth0 it sais failed.

I just noticed that when I start in vervos mode when it sais bringing up interface eth0 it stalls a bit then sais failed

Yes - it stalls and says it failed because eth0 is looking for a dynamic IP address, using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). In order for this to work, you need to be running a correctly configured DHCP server - either on a PC or your router, and it doesn't look like you are. Don't even try to set one up yet.

You need an IP address so that each computer knows where to send information - a bit like needing an address on an envelope. Bit more complex than this in real life, but just think of it like that for now.

This is why I suggest using a STATIC IP address, instead of using a DHCP assigned one. A static address is one that YOU assign, and doesn't change.

Just follow the instructions in my post above, and see if you get an address assigned - in this case 192.168.0.2. If you do not understand any of it, let us know...

You will need to find out what address is assigned to your router, so that you can set a similar one on your PCs - if your router is 192.168.0.1 for instance, set your PC to 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3 etc. If your router IP address is 192.168.1.1 then your pc should be 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 etc - see the pattern?

You do not say if your router is new or used - if new, check the manual (or perhaps a label on the unit?) for the default IP address setting. If used, what was it before, or perhaps it has a factory reset switch?

Once you have an IP address showing in an ifconfig command, you may find you can magically connect to the internet - assuming the rest of your kit is working properly.

How are you connecting at the moment? If it is with Windows, you can check what IP address you are using by clicking on start->run and typing cmd. This will give you a console. Type ipconfig or winipcfg, depending on your windows version, and it should tell you your current IP address. Use this address in your ifconfig command under Linux.

Once you have got this is working, you can use the graphical set up tool in the Mandrake control center to set up your connection with the static address, so that the settings remain across reboots.

Chris

so I should give it the same adress as windows? Is the default gateway my routers ip? sorry I dont know much about networking, ill start learning more when I get my A+

EDIT: I did all you told me and nothing worked. I have the same gateway and IP(the IP in the slot on my router+1) as windows.

Edited by ghost2003