cant connect to the internet

ghost2003

>> so I should give it the same adress as windows?

Yes - if Windows works, use the same settings under Linux.

EDIT-> I am assuming you have windows on the same PC as Linux - each node (PC, router etc) must have a unique number)

>> Is the default gateway my routers ip?

Yes, but how are you inputting the default gateway - are you using a graphical tool? I have found they can sometimes be unreliable... As your network is not working yet, we need to systematically work our way through the network in order - starting with the network adaptor in your PC, so follow the instructions again, starting with the mv command - this will disable the automatic network adaptor setup.

We need some more information from you to be able to help - what output do you get when you type in the commands? For example from 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 up'. Do you get an error? If you get no output, this is normal for Linux - it means the command worked, so type ifconfig eth0 - what output do you get then? This will tell us a lot - without this output, we can only keep guessing.

What is the Ip address of your router and windows?

If there is an IP address in the output of 'ifconfig eth0', try typing:

ping -c 5 <your PCs ip address> (eg ping -c 5 192.168.0.2)

You should get output similar to "64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.086 ms" 5 times - this means your network card is up and working - it has replied to your ping request.

If you get something like: "From 192.168.0.20 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable" then it's not.

If this works, type ping -c 5 <your routers address> - see above for results.

If both these pings are successful, your routing table may be wrong - that's where the default gateway comes in. That's enough for now - will let you know when you have the rest working : )

Chris

Edited by streeter

Glad it works for you, but...

For anybody else out there reading this with the same problem, this was almost certainly 'only' a misconfiguration Mandrake was installed, and could have been resolved. Reinstalling another (or even the same) Linux distro could even give you some other problem somewhere else after all - for example only Mandrake and Suse have been fully successful on my thinkpad so far.

The real answer is to read up a little - understand what IP addresses, default Gateway, subnet mask and the basic networking commands (ifconfig, route, ping etc) are and what they do. You will then be able to fix any future problems too - they do happen.

A good start is the online book RUTE (on your install disk - type urpmi rute).

first question...

in windows do you get issued an automatic IP ?

if so what is it ? indeed if its not automatic what is it ?

i.e.

How are you connecting at the moment? If it is with Windows, you can check what IP address you are using by clicking on start->run and typing cmd. This will give you a console. Type ipconfig or winipcfg, depending on your windows version, and it should tell you your current IP address. Use this address in your ifconfig command under Linux.

What we are asking you to do is NOT to fix the problem it is to provide us with the information to fix it.

we need to know what its trying to do and trhe questions we are asking are to provide this info.