Messenger. How do I send files to windows users?

glore

Helllo!

I am trying to send files to windows user's through different messengers such as Al's Messenger but I can receive files from them but I can't send. They get a message such as " files has strange characters or it is too long to save..." This happens with every file I try to send.

By the way, I am connected to the Internet through a Linksys router and I use Mandrake 10 Official release.

In windows, this works fine.

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :) ]

I found kopete very unstable, but amsn is much better than kopete in any way for MSN messenger.

have you got the latest version of amsn?

Dont get the cvs, just the latest stable, 0.91.

Have a look in the mandrake control center (mcc) and check the firewall isnt on

this is a firewall problem. disable the firewall. if you need more help please ask.

The problem is your firewall I suppose ... I believed the problem is as follow (maybe)...:

When you send a file, you're not reallty sending it ...their downloading it from you. So they want to request a download from you (on a different port than you use for chatting)...so the firewall sees this request coming in on a port and doesn't know that it is related to the chat-sessions ... since you didn't send anything on that port I suppose.

If you want to do is..the only way for know this works (as far as I know) is by opening the ports used for "downloading" the file.

Add this rule to the /etc/shorewall/rules-file (this is if you don't have a network):

ACCEPT net fw tcp 6891:6900

The following rules are the ones I need for chatting on msn and sending and recieving files.

ACCEPT fw net tcp 1863

ACCEPT fw net tcp 6891:6900

ACCEPT net fw tcp 6891:6900

ACCEPT fw net tcp 443

Hello back,

Let me describe the problem as clear as I can:

a) I get connected to the web through a Liinksys router + cablemodem.

B) I use Mandrake 10 official.

c) When using aMSN or any messenger, I can only receive files from Windows users. I CAN'T SEND

THEM. The other person's computer shows a message telling him this:

"your message cannot be saved. Its name may contain unreadable characters, its name plus path may be too long, or the folder may be read-only, deleted, or otherwise unavailable. Please specify another file name and/or choose a different folder"

This happens with any file.

Well, I really don't know what to do. Please, help me. I will really appreciate it .

Thank you very much.

Edited by glore