mess with red carpet & Evolution

kmack

Well.. fonts can be made beautiful by installing the freetype, xft, fontconfig and microsoft truetype fonts rpms from texstar's place.. In fact, that place have the newest evolution (1.2) available so you can install evolution from that place also.

http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...drake/9.0/rpms/

and check the bottom to see how to add texstar's mirror into your urpmi database.

I have been enjoying nice antialiased fonts since pretty much the beginning of my 9.0 journey thanks to these rpms :)

Thanks for the tip on the fonts. I am just learning how to use urpmi and it is very nice. My net connection is terrible right now so will hold off until they get the speed back up. Life on the internet in SE Asia can be sporadic at times due to long distance involved and other tech issues. :)

I did use the Mandrake Control Center--System--Fonts but still not too satisfied with things. I have a full selection, but they still look phoney.

Appreciate all of you that help us noobies out!

Ok, another learning experience. :D This is fun!

I added Texstar to urpmi and tried to upgrade my Evolution to 1.2 using his rpm's and rpmdrake. It downloaded them (took a while due to net connection) and then aborted the install due to dependencies:

libgal.so.19 is needed by:

libgtkhtml 20-1.0.4-4mdk

Guppi-0.40.3-1mdk

gnucash-1.6.7-1mdk

gabber-0.8.7-7-mdk

gnumeric-1.0.9-1mdk

Looks like the downloaded files all got deleted from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms SHUCKS!

Is there a way to install Texstar's Evolution 1.2 and not goof up these other files and dependencies? Any brave souls that can help a noobie work this through? :lol:

oh yeah.. forgot to warn you about that..

Anyway.. first download (that's right download, we need to install this manually) the libgal21-0.21-4tex.rpm and libgal21-devel-0.21-4tex.rpm from texstar place. Then install it via this command

rpm -ivh libgal21*

If it needs dependancies.. urpmi those dependencies first.. after all those are installed, then install the libgal21 like above. After the libgal21 are installed, then you can just type

urpmi evolution

then you are done.

I guess texstar forgot to make those rpms installable instead of upgradable.

What happened is that texstar doesn't have all of the rpms that evolution required. This means you'll have to add several good sites to your sources in hopes you'll meet all the deps.

-Another option is to manually download them and force install them if they complain about deps. (people say "not recommended")

-or manually download evolution and the deps in the list, or all required packages, into one directory by themselves and

rpm -ivh evolution libgal libgtkhtml (ect....)

I'd add more sources! Much easier!

Also, if you ever want to install and know it's from the ML CD's, you can open the Sources Pkg Mgr and only check the cd's to update, and when it's done, install the pkg. When you want your internet sources back check them and you'll have to update them again.

You can find my urpmi sources (except cooker) here

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...1407&highlight=

bvc,

Tried to update media per your link and having problems with a couple of them. One is perhaps due to a site being down.

Using your link:

urpmi.addmedia TexContrib ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut.../texstar/linux/ distributions/mandrake/9.0/contrib with ./hdlist.cz

When I try adding TexContrib I get the following error:

`with' missing for ftp media

I figured out that there was an extra space(between /texstar/linux/ and distributions/mandrake/9.0/...) probably due to word wrap or something and it messed up the syntax. But when I fixed that it gave me another error:

Removed `/var/cache/urpmi/partial/.listing'.

--11:56:49-- ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ntrib/hdlist.cz

=> `/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.cz'

==> CWD not required.

==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR hdlist.cz ...

No such file `hdlist.cz'.

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "TexContrib"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.TexContrib.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "TexContrib"

unable to update medium "TexContrib"

Not sure what I need to do to add this one?

DragonMage,

I am interested in learning the method you outlined in your reply, but could use a little more clarification.

Like you suggested, I downloaded the libgal files and a few others that I remembered from trying to urpmi evolution earlier. But I am sure I do not have them all.

You suggested I run rpm -ivh libgal21*

I have a question on that syntax. Is the "v" supposed to be capital V? Or is this for verbose setting? I don't want to make things worse!

:oops: I am also trying to figure out how to know what the dependencies are.

Thanks again for your time and assistance. It is super helpful and I am getting more confidence because of all of you that are helping me.

Not sure what I need to do to add this one?
Hmm..it use to hav a list. Don't do anything, as it didn't (and can't) do anything without a hdlist.cz. I removed the link :wink:

Looks like the downloaded files all got deleted from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms SHUCKS!
Note: that is going to happen even when it installs successfully. There's a --noclean option (urpmi --noclean pkgname) but it's not working for me, and a few others that I know of. The --noclean is suppose to NOT delete them when finished. See (type)

man urpmi

man urpmf

urpmi --help

urpmf --help

ect.....

bvc,

Thanks for followup on the TexContrib urpmi thing. That helps me a lot. I saw the -no clean option and wished I had tried it since I had already downloaded all the files. Sigh... I'll try it next time to see if it works for me.

Any tips on a good site for downloading / urpmi 'ing Koffice since my cd rom version won't install for some reason? I don't see it on Texstar's site.

DragonMage,

You suggested I run rpm -ivh libgal21* 

I have a question on that syntax.  Is the "v" supposed to be capital V?  Or is this for verbose setting?  I don't want to make things worse! 

the -v setting is verbose mode.. Just something so that we receive better feedbacks when everything is being done.

Anyway.. if you have texstar ftp, and mandrake installation cds in your urpmi database, then all the dependencies should be in there..

If you type the command

rpm -ivh libgal21*

and it spouts out something like requires something something rpm, then all you have to do is

urpmi (name of the needed rpm)

then try the rpm -ivh libgal21* again to check whether there are other dependencies needed for that.. if I remember correctly, it requires libgtkhtml and a couple more rpms.. but it's been a while so I kinda forgot.. heh :oops:

Hope it helps.

DragonMage,

Super clear- thanks for the input. I thought I understood, but wanted to double check before I put my foot in it again.

:oops:

It is bedtime here and some heavy lightning so will shut down for safety and try it in the morning.