mess with red carpet & Evolution

kmack

I tried to upgrade my Evolution to 1.2 using Red Carpet but had a problem with soup pkg

Now my Opera is goofed up and shuts down unexpectedly and there is no sign of evolution being installed on the menus, etc.

I am a newbie and a bit baffled on how to start putting things back together. I would like to restore my Opera and get the Evolution running if possible.

Do I need to uninstall the Evolution and Opera and start over? Any chance of saving my bookmarks in Opera if I do this?

Here is console error message from Red Carpet run

warning: Actual size: 325491

warning: Expected size: 418830 = lead(96)+sigs(149)+pad(3)+data(418582)

error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/libsoup.so.3.3.4;3dede09d: cpio: read

I am running ML8.2 on Abit KR7A-133 Athalon 1.6XP 512MB RAM and 40GB Maxtor

Thanks for any starting tips anyone can offer.

Two things I can suggest that should work: (1) install the entire Ximian desktop package. This will restore evolution and allow you to reinstall Opera or (2) install Mandrake 9.0 onto your system.

Either one should reverse the damage done.

The only other thing that I can suggest is to try and uninstall both Opera and Evolution and to start over. Try installing evolution from either source or rpm, and not through red carpet and then install opera.

Thanks for fast input and option suggestions.

Wonder if I could just try to do the one package that is goofy (soup 0.7.9-1.ximian.1) and see if that would resolve it?

I just got 9.0 CD's, and plan to upgrade but haven't studied the best way to do it yet. This is a new system (2mos) so isn't too loaded yet and I don't know whether to do fresh install or try to upgrade over the existing 8.2.

Anyone have suggestions on best option? I do have some bookmarks I'd like to save, but everything else is pretty expendable. I don't have a CDRW or backup media except for floppy so options are limited.

Definitely do a fresh install -- wipe everything but your home partition. This will allow you to keep your bookmarks and whatever else you have in there. It will also make sure that there are no conflicts between old and new packages.

If everything else is disposable except for the bookmarks, those should be small enough to go on a floppy.

Great advice! Thanks again, you are really helping me make my decision.

Another newbie question if I may? If I do a fresh install, and don't "wipe" my home partition, (assume you mean do not reformat my home partition, right?) then I would reformat the other partitions, correct?

If I just boot from the 9.0 CD ROM will it work now that LILO is on my hd? I assume it will bypass LILO and go directly to the Install program, right? Having never done it, I wanted to ask before I jump in with both feet. :)

Again, thank you for the advice!

As long as your computer can boot from a CD it will boot directly into the installation. Computers always try to boot off the CD, or floppy, before they try to boot off the hard drive.

Yea, reformat (wipe) all the other partitions except for your home partition.

At the end of the install, it will ask to install LILO, in my experience, go for it. I have never had a problem with installing another version of LILO over an old one.

Terima kasih banyak! Thanks very much!

I will give it a go tomorrow and update this post so you know how the 9.0 install went. It is bedtime here in SE Asia so I will do a FRESH install after I get a good night's rest.

If anyone else has pointers for this newbie, I'll check in the morning for any more good advice you might care to share.

:D

I am back but bruised from the experience of the 9.0 install! :?

Between newbie mistakes and glitches in the install, I ended up having to reformat everything. My CD's were purchased with local Linux magazine and may have a problem with Koffice install files (or my CD ROM cannot read it properly) so it aborted that part. So no Koffice installed.

Also, there was no Opera included on the install. Guess I was spoiled by my 8.2 Powerpack and didn't realize that Opera wouldn't be on these CD's. So I downloaded the Opera RPM, used Kpackage and installed, but it doesn't show on menu so I am trying to figure out how to create a menu item for it.

Also, the Evolution version is not the latest, so will want to update that as well.

Always learning though! Thanks for the help and all the good docs posted on this site that help me through the rough spots. :)

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil
but it doesn't show on menu so I am trying to figure out how to create a menu item for it.

Go to Mandrake Control Center/ System / Menus.

Very easy to add stuff. Just look at a few of the existing enties to see how its done.

Thanks! I am digging around, but as a newbie I haven't figured out what the executable that I need is or where exactly it is located.

I have been able to start Opera from cmd line in my home directory by typing 'opera' but not sure if that will work. Guess I will give it a go, eh? So far, I am learning most by the goofs I make. It is time-consuming though. :lol:

COOL! I knew there had to be a way to find it but hadn't figured it out.

Thanks again for hanging in and checking on this newbie's progress. I got Opera going again and looks like evolution will work. When my net connection is better I hope to try to download the rpm's for KOffice that I cannot get from the CD for some reason.

Still working on my fonts. They looked a LOT better in 8.2 than they are looking in 9.0. I was hoping they would be better not worse! :wink:

Thanks bvc!