minor glitches - mdk 10 OE

Guest lahf

Guest lahf

Hi,

I have a few q's.

1) Why does knotes cause kontakt to crash?

2) why cant I get kmail up as well as korganizer - at the same time? How can I remove kmail from the korganizer plugin - and have kmail exec itself instead of the kontakt program (without the kmail plugin - weird huh!!?!)

3) How do I stop knotes from starting Kontakt? knotes crashes kontakt anyway. Is there a workaround? I even got knotes removed from the settings, so I cant access it al all!

kmail not import Mail now that it has changed to .Mail

4) When I did a clean install - fine (which I still have), but when I did an upgrade, after first testing if a clean install worked, do I get everything nearly ok, nearly ok, because soundcards seem to be an issue, but mainly on bootup the font for "Press esc for ..." is twice the size or more of what it shoulf be - shouldn't I have installed all the fonts I could find from mdk discs?

5) why wont kmail import the Mail folder straight, i.e. why doesn't it just rename the Mail folder to .Mail - is this a newbie lookout post? Why on earth is it there?

6) Anyone had any luck installing from the PLF?

7) Why has Mdk gone from the fstab output to the mtab of df i.e.

How come the change from /dev/hda1 to /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

Whats the reasoning behind this? If its the 2.6 kernel, do you have any more you can give, or are you just as dumb as you look.

I'm rude, because telling me its this or that without giving me a clue about the advent of the new file system from MS, is pointless to an extent. Give me something i can pinpoint, thankyou. Also:

8) Why does df now give output similar to mtab as opposed to fstab?

9) what is sysfs, usbfs, fs=ext2:vfat - and why haven't I seen it before, no smart answers please, I want to understand.

10) Is it possible to get the previous more user accessible mcc program interface back?

11) Why doesn't the properties page, i.e. a right click of a folder show how many files and folders are in it? How do I find this out? (It used to!)

12) Whats the best way to upgrade from local files mounted from a cd?

I would like to do a fresh install. how do I do that from a partitioned hard drive?

I know I can upgrade using mcc, but does that give me a 'fresh' install, removing old dependancies?

13) Why does urpmi always have a busy cursor when I try to grab the scroll bar?

14) I used to be getting errors about bad signatures. So I found the files. I removed the files in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms why would that make difference to me installing stuff since I wasn't intentionally installing those?

15) I added a second icon with the same name to my task bar, and it crashed and came back rather quickly! Is this sposed to happen?

16) I've found an entry in my menu that I can't get to with menudrake, its called networking and has WWW -> firefox in it. Of course I installed it from an rpm, but how do I change the menu structure so I can fit it with the rest of the browsers?

17) Alsa sound daemon wouldn't let me shut down proprely, and neither would hotplug, so I stopped them running in the system -> services from mcc.

18) With crack attack - the game, on solo without extreme, if you play a game, it crashes, and you cant play a second game.

19 Most importantly - Where has xkill gone from the menu?

20) Why isn't games in the root/opening menu?

on a side note:

I cant believe how smooth the upgrade went from 9.1 to 10.0

It also means I dont have to go through and lose any files,

plus I don't lose anyspace for backup purposes.

Top marks to MDK for this.

Mind you, after going to my local college to download all the files from the servers for Mdk10, including the updates, I found it a lot easier than inserting my cd's time after time! Thats the only way to do it in the future, really! Plus, you wont get paranoid about your cd player breaking either. If your installing gigabytes, then it makes a lot of difference, especially if you put your mdk cds out of reach, just means they are inaccesible, aren't they?

I hope you do realize we aren't affiliated with Mandrake in any way, we are just users...so a lot of these questions we can't answer, and your rudeness is misdirected.

if you'd like to report bugs to mandrake, feel free to check out: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com

sorry I didn't provide any answers, but like i said, most of your questions are bugs and or technical decisions that no one here made...

whew, so many questions, where does one begin? If you have one in particular to focus on, that may help those that wish to help you.

I am thinking if it is item 12, a fresh install may just be the thing to clear up some of these problems. A lot has changed from versions 9.1 to 10 official... especially kde apps going their separate rpm ways.

Other items, such as menu items, can probably be customized to your liking, if we knew more about your chosen desktop ( I would guess its KDE). Maybe you just need to run through all the option menues and things will hopefully fall into place?

If you still want to take the time to try and troubleshoot all these... I am sure members here will be glad to help you. :D

1) IT'S A BUG, get updates

2) ineptitude? I just tried it. kmail started up, then korganizer started up in kontact.

3) it's a bug, get updates.

4) use the clean install then. just move your home directory to keep old settings.

5) ask mdk. that was caused by an mdk patch not kde people. But you could always just move it yourself.

6) yup

7) dunno

8) dunno

9) new stuff with kernel 2.6. google be thy freind fs=ext2:vfat is just a way of defining multiple filesystems

10) not unless you/other users manage to change mdk developers minds or someone decides to fork the project

11) This is now in the Meta Info tab

12) ack. too many questions. info overload!

13) that's not urpmi, that's rpmdrake. bug.

14) they had bad signatures. when yo removed and redownloaded you got ones with new signatures?

15) crashes are never supposed to happen. crash recovery on the other hand... yes.

16) remove old firebird rpm and get firefox rpm.

17) update your kernel and hotplug version. better yet, just do a clean install.

18) opengl is probably not working. get opengl support for your vid card.

19) Press ctrl+Alt+esc in KDE same effect.

20) because you haven't installed any? haven't upgraded properly? works with my pc. urpmi --auto-install or whatever wasn't a terribly good choice for this 9.2 -> 10.0 upgrade.

Locked for clarification.

Lahf has quite a few questions concerning Mandrake an dsolving the problems. Let's recommend where to place what questions and solve the issues! I have suggested starting several threads so that we can handle the problems in a more orderly fashion. This thread is now open.

Guest lahf

RE:I have a few q's.

ok, let me reorganise this a little. I know illogical has been quite good. So if I iron out the ones he has answered successfully, and also group the rest, so lets go from there.

1) RE: KONTAKT

Why does knotes cause kontakt to crash?

Why cant I get kmail up as well as korganizer - at the same time?

How can I remove kmail from the korganizer plugin - AND have kmail exec itself instead of the kontakt program (without the kmail plugin - weird huh!!?!)

Can you get this to work?

How do I stop knotes from starting Kontakt? knotes crashes kontakt anyway. Is there a workaround? I even got knotes removed from the settings, so I cant access it al all!

2) When I did a clean install - fine (which I still have), but when I did an upgrade, after first testing if a clean install worked, do I get everything nearly ok, nearly ok, because soundcards seem to be an issue, but mainly on bootup the font for "Press esc for ..." is twice the size or more of what it shoulf be - shouldn't I have installed all the fonts I could find from mdk discs?

This seems to have resolved itself with changing the configuration, and then reverting to what I wanted.

3) Anyone had any luck installing from the PLF?

So if you could expand on what you have installed and whether you got mcc to download or you got it onto your filesystem first and anything else .. would be great. Thanks.

4) Why has Mdk gone from the fstab output to the mtab of df i.e.

How come the change from /dev/hda1 to /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

Whats the reasoning behind this?

Why does df now give output similar to mtab as opposed to fstab?

What is sysfs, usbfs, fs=ext2:vfat -

Ok I know vfat is windows related, ext2 is linux, what about sysfs and usbfs. windows formats usb media using vfat - so why do have usbfs?

5) Is it possible to get the previous more user accessible mcc program interface back?

6) Whats the best way to upgrade from? local files or from a cd?

I would like to do a fresh install. how do I do that from a partitioned hard drive? Can I just get a boot disk, and boot to ext3 or reiserfs, where all the files/rpm's are?

7) Why does rpmdrake always have a busy cursor when I try to grab the scroll bar?

8) I added a second icon with the same name to my task bar, and it crashed and came back rather quickly! Is this sposed to happen? Crash recovery is a good answer. Does anybody have any more experience of this?

9) With crack attack - the game, on solo without extreme, if you play a game, it crashes, and you cant play a second game. Is this an OpenGL problem or not? I'll look at this myself when I can too.

10) Why isn't games in the root/opening menu? Now it is in the 'More Applications' item on the root menu. Why has it been relegated? Does anyone know?

A big thankyou to all of you who read this, hopefully we can work it out.

I wanted to document this, to find out answers and also share my enthusiasm for fixing these bugs, because we are the community. Have fun y'all. This is a fun exercise, should be, for all who would like to contribute. Thankyou.

When I install other than Mandrake updates, I download to a directory that I created (named oddly enough /home/dan/install) and I use a tool called urpmi in a console. I open a console, switch user to root (su to root), go to the directory, and type "urpmi the.name.of-the.rpm" Urpmi will tell you if you have any dependencies.

- It is kontact, not kontakt

- in your version (obv. Mandrake 10 Community) there is a bug, illogic-al already told you, with knotes. Get the updates, and the bug will disappear.

- kontact is a suite. There are no plugins but a couple of applications. You can start each application in this suite separately if you want. Just create your own menu entries. The commands are:

knotes

kmail

korganizer

knode

First, have you gotten all updates?

Second, right now I am mandrake cooker but OE was just the same for me.

3)

[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep plf

avifile-win32-0.7.39-0.20040202.1plf

divx4linux-20020418-3plf

mplayer-1.0-0.pre4.3plf

libfreetype6-2.1.8-1plf

libxvid4-1.0.0-0.rc4.1plf

libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf

libfreetype6-devel-2.1.8-1plf

ImageMagick-5.5.7.17-2plf

win32-codecs-1.5-1plf

vlc-0.7.2-0.test2.2plf

libaviplayavcodec0.7-0.7.39-0.20040202.1plf

libMagick5.5.7-5.5.7.17-2plf

xine-win32-1-0.rc4.1plf

real-codecs-1.2-1plf

libfaad2_0-2.0-2plf

liblame0-3.96-1plf

libdivx4linux0-20020418-3plf

xanim-codecs-1.0-3plf

faad2-xmms-2.0-2plf

[root@localhost root]#

just added it as a source and it works. I mostly used rpmdrake in mcc but got a few from cli with urpmi. Keep in mind that rpmdrake is just the gui for urpmi. Look at the scripts.

4) ask mdk.

"what about sysfs and usbfs"? google or in a terminal as root, with the kernel-source installed do;

grep -ir "sysfs" /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*

and

grep -ir "usbfs" /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*

and have fun.

5)no

7) open a terminal>su to root>and run rpmdrake

do you still have a busy cursor?