2 Sata Raid Drives and Mandrake 10?

Peppercorn

Hi again el Supremo's

I am upgrading my system to 2 Sata 120 gig HD's setup up in a Raid environment. I have looked around a bit but I cannot find much info to find out if it is possible.

So my question is does Mandrake 10 run and install OK with a Raid setup??????

Thanks for any experienced answers!!

Peppercorn

software raid (no problem) or hardware raid with a special controller ? (probably problems)

Well not strictly true.

True HW raid is 100% transparent. No driver is needed becuase it appears to the OS as a disk!

The problem is with some of these SATA raid controllers which are the RAID equivalent of linmodems or lin printers.

the only partially implement RAID and leave most of it to the CPU.

HW Raid 0 or 1 or 0+1 is a waste of time. The calculation is trivial

RAID 5 .. perhaps but fully HW and cached.

100% SW 0,1,0+1 works fine on the md drivers.

RAID 1 is trivial.... its not worth measuring :D CPU wise

I guess if you want to measure it then just run a top and look at the md devices. Its REALLY LOW though... like you might be worried on a 386 .... its a SIMPLE algorthm .. it basically just copies... whereas RAID 5 is a lot more involved

Last time I REALLY measured this was not on an Intel machine but a Sun E450 with 2x450Mhz USparc II CU's and Solaris 7.

The machine had 16 RAID arrays of 0+1 and read at 200MB/sec wrote at 100MB/sec and CPU usage was nominal. (less than X or top) in a very heavy mulituser environment.

It really wasnt worth worrying about cpu usage so for a modern PC on a single user I cant see it being significant.