problem installing 9.2 and 10

Guest MSAleinzap

Guest MSAleinzap

i have tried 5 or six times each installing 9.2 and 10.0 on my compaq laptop with 4.5 gigs and windows 98. Windows is gone... i think... every time i install i say "erase entire disk" it works after that to some extent but still when it starts the install with the packages, it starts installing and then all of a sudden this error comes up saying : "there was an error installing this package.... do u want to continue anyway? YES OR NO. when i click yes it keeps going but then like 100 errors keep coming up saying the same thing with the next package getting installed.... what do it do????????????????????????????????????????????? all i want is to install any working mandrake distribution on my laptop which can work, because i can t use windows and i want to switch to linux... can someone tell me how i can do this with a minimal amount of trouble?

thanks!!! i know im a newb but hey, plz help if u can

moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman

Did you do a checksum of the CDs you downloaded? The frst thing to check is that the packages you installed are not corrupted. This might have happened either during download or when you burnt the CD. The first thing to check is that the md5sums match the downloads. If that's ok, then it's worth trying to burn the CDs again.

If you've done both those things and you still get the same problem - it's time to start looking at your system to see if we can figure this out - but those are definately the first steps.

To do the md5sum check simply do

md5sum <iso-filename>

for each of the downloaded ISO files (replaceing <iso-filename> with the actual file name). This will give you a long list of characters. There should also be md5sums on the server where you downloaded the files - if they match the results of you md5sum then all is good there. If not then I'm afraid you have to download again...

Guest MSAleinzap

thanmks for the help..... can anybody please tell me where i can get non-corrupted iso files? (like ones that you've downloaded and used)... because right now, i've tried two from different sites, and they both dont work.... im gonna do that md5 thing, but if anyone can help me find isos for any mandrake linux that you use , i'd be greatful... thanks again

First off, a laptop with 4.5 gigs total may not be enough to put a GUI desktop of either 9.2 or 10 on it (along or without Windows).

I've always downloaded .iso's in WinXP because that is my largest partition and I'm more comfortable using Ahead Nero to burn .iso's. However, I've never been able to figure out how to check md5sums in Windows...though I downloaded a program for it. There are some very good suggestions here; it's very useful if you read the entire thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4638

Here is a link from Mandrake Linux. Go to the bottom and click on the green button to the right of "I am already a club member or plan to be one soon." Be sure to also download the md5sums. As I said, I don't understand how to check them in Windows, but maybe someone will reply here or maybe you can look in the FAQ's section on this forum.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

In addition -- a suggestion from a thread on md5sums at www.linuxiso.org:

"Another problem that may be happening is that people may be burning too fast. At high burning speeds, errors can occur that go unnoticed. If you get unexplainable errors from a CD made from an iso that passes the md5sum test, try burning at a lower speed, like 8x or even 4x. CD quality may also be a factor. Those "100 CD's for $10" CD's may be OK, but I wouldn't trust them for 'mission critical' uses. Avoid CDRW's for install disks. I haven't read anything that would indicate that anyone has simply copied the iso to a CD, but this does happen. Finally, install from the same CD drive that you used to burn the disks. The host for this forum Linuxiso.org, has an excellent tutorial for burning CD's from iso's."

I hope this may help you with your solution.

Sincerely,

Richard

Edited by lawsonrc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jedhunsaker

I have the exact same problem as MSAleinzap, but I have the boxed Mandrake PowerPack 10; therefore, no chance of an md5sum problem. In other words, I didn't have to download the ISO, but the CD's were sent from Mandrake.

Also, I'm trying to install this on my 2nd drive, the first having Windows XP Pro (planning on a dual-boot configuration). With my 2nd drive though, I've got 26GB Native and 2GB Swap.

Any ideas?

Here's a couple of things that may help. I have the 5 cd Power Pack as a Mandrake Silver member.

When you install from CDs--watch out that programs are deselected on the right--this has been known to cause problems ie--server programs on laptops. Also, if you have office programs as a whole selected--you may have problems if M10 thinks your going to connect to a palm pilot ie it may try to install these programs--and give you a bunch of these errors. Solution: Check individual programs and make sure that the ones checked are not going to interfere with your laptop. Also you'll find that when you move to the Linux world on Mandrake with K3B you'll kiss goodbye to those lousy Windoze CD burning escapades. You'll actually see the MD5sum appear on the K3b screen so you can match it with the file download for review. For example, if you download an iso named mandrake_cd1.iso and the md5sum file is mandrakde_cd1_md5.txt. You just have to a txt edit on the txt file in one desktop pager window on Mandrake and compare the reading to what k3b has in its sum bar. If they match--go forth to a better world! I usually stay away from checking any of the programs on the right side of the install (server programs)--if I'm installing a laptop.

Cheers!

Edited by javabiz

Guest johncoom
thanmks for the help..... can anybody please tell me where i can get non-corrupted iso files? (like ones  that you've downloaded and used)... because right now, i've tried two from different sites, and they both dont work.... im gonna do that  md5 thing, but if anyone can help me find isos for any mandrake linux that you use , i'd be greatful... thanks again

The easy application I know of to check a md5sum in windows = winmd5sum

From Solidblue Software - it is Open Source and completely Free

read about it and get it here:-

http://winmd5sum.solidblue.biz/

TAKE NOTE: when you use it on an ISO it WILL TAKE a little while to generate the

md5sum number - BUT - so does the Linux command line of:- md5sum filename.iso

So just wait for it to happen - do not think it is not working at all.

Also after the alpha-numeric number has been generated with Winmd5sum, you can

copy the number thats in the md5sum txt file & paste it the lower box and use Compare

First off, a laptop with 4.5 gigs total may not be enough to put a GUI desktop of either 9.2 or 10 on it (along or without Windows).

Personally I'm not convinced of that, but I may be wrong - time will tell... ;-)

Your right--running Winbook XL laptop with 128 mb ram and 3 GB hard drive (without Windoze). I eliminated Open Office from Office Aps and added KOffice. Works fine--except for the eth0 problem which I get around with a script! Also--I'm running KDE 3.2 with Mandrake 10.

Edited by javabiz

might be a stupid question, but did this happen only with mandrake cd's or has anyone of you plagued guys experienced the same problem with other linux-distributions? i always use a knoppix or other live-cd (suse-live, mandrake move, ..., full list can be found at www.distrowatch.org) first in order to see, if this is really a problem of the distro-cd (bad burn or other software related problem) or if this is a hardware problem. if you have a linux-live cd, try it first.