VNC/Rdesktop

FX

Didn't know if I should put this here or networking, but anyways. What is the better "gui" VNC or Rdesktop? I have used VNC before and it seems very slow. I haven't use rdesktop before and was wondering if its any better. What ports need to be open and weather it would be hard to setup with Slack?

FXMod Note:Moved from Software by Phunni

Edited by phunni

Given the options, I would choose vnc - but only because I know how to use it best - of course the best option will always be a remote X session (even to a Windows box, although then the software isn't free).

If you used the 3x version of VNC before, try the 4x Beta. It's all-around better, but much faster in particular. I've been using VNC 4x for a long time with great results.

That's good to hear because speed was always my only real problem with VNC. I still maintain that a remote X session is the best way to go. If nothing else, then just because it's the most secure (SSH).

Thanks for the replies.

I myself like ssh/sftp/scp better when doing remote things, but the wife is a little different. Im trying to get her to use linux, I have to some extent, but if she only has the terminal option I don't think she'll accept it as much. Only other thing she hates is that it (Linux) moves SLOW on her laptop. It only has 128 meg of ram, but XP just kicks Linuxs butt on it for speed.

FX

I still maintain that a remote X session is the best way to go. If nothing else, then just because it's the most secure (SSH).

You can SSH with VNC. I think TightVNC includes SSH. I just use RealVNC (the original) and I've never fooled with setting up SSH. Not worried about being hacked. But the RealVNC website has instructions.

NO, you don't understand - a remote X session IS OPENED OVER AN SSH CONNECTION.

Sorry - I don't think I explained it well enough. It essentially does everything that vnc does, but it does it via ssh and opens up a remote X session from the XFree server.

Comprende?

Yeah, what I said, I just said it poorly. Should've previewed that post for sure. Anyway, I've never fooled with tunneling a VNC session with SSH 'cause for what I use VNC for it's just not that critical. Let 'em hack into my sessions if they want - nothing worthwhile to steal and it'll bore them silly.

VNC works great for remotes to my Win2k workstation from my Linux box at home. I hear another beta of VNC 4x is due out soon, but the 4x beta I've been using for months has been rock-solid.

TightVNC adds SSH capability for security. There's another Windows-only version of VNC (can't remeber the name) that adds a built-in FTP client for remote file transfers to give some of the functionality of pcAnywhere or LapLink.

Guest Naajk

Am I wrong or shouldn't you open port 5900 + x where x is the screen number?

So you will need to connect to your first VNC screen on 5900 + 1 = 5901 instead of 5900?

Edited by Naajk

ill try both, (ill open 5900 and 5901) the question is when i go to my other computer, i address mycomuter withi its ip address + what? i know befor i put the firewall up i would do:

192.168.1.500:1

but now should i do

192.168.1.500:5901

-or-

192.168.1.500:5900

which ever works?