W2k detects wrong filesystem for Mandrake root partition

Guest Dare

I have Mandrake 9.0 and Win2k installed, both on different hard drives. When I boot Windows, it detects the Mandrake root partition as FAT, but wants to make an integrity check of some sort, so it probably thinks it is corrupted. The partition is truly ext3; on previous installations it was ext2 and there were no problems then. I have other ext3-partitions, but W2k don't complain about these.

The Knowledge Base holds nothing on this, the same with Google. What's wrong?

Windose performs an automatic integrity check of some sort at startup time, and when it detects the "corrupted FAT" it prompts whether to run a deeper check. I don't want to disable the auto check, just get rid of this stupid deep check prompt.

And anyway, the ext2 root partition passed.

If you are asking how to fix windows, it would be a violation of their lock-down protected software. Even acknowledging that there is a fix could imply a violation!! You see, you must do as windows dictates to you, not what you want it to do.

Very odd, Windows shouldn't even be able tell that your Linux partitions are there. It will usually ignore anything that is not FAT or NTFS.

I don't think that changing to Ext3 will make much difference. Ext3 is essentialy the same as ext2, just with some added jorunalling. Thats why its so easy to switch between them.

Out of interes what is the layout of the partitions on your drive?

Very odd, Windows shouldn't even be able tell that your Linux partitions are there. It will usually ignore anything that is not FAT or NTFS.

Yeah right, but it thinks it was FAT. The computer management console says that, too, while it says nothing about the other linux partitions

My HD layout is:

IBM DTLA 305040 (btw: I know about the DTLA series problemsm, they're not causing this one):

- primary partition (ext3): Linux home <- this one's making trouble

- extended partition containing some logical drives (ext3, linux swap, FAT32), all recognized correctly or not at all

IBM DTTA 351010:

- primary partition (FAT32): Win2k home

- extended partition containing logical FAT32 drive

BIOS boots the first HD, and choosing Windows in LILO boots the second.

It's probably because that since win2k is not installed in the first hd that win2k detects the primary harddrive but since it cannot find anything in there (in term of primary partition since it detects the FAT32 extended partition) so it asumes that the primary hd is corrupt? I dunno really, but does the system devices in win2k detect the primary hd? Windows of all version seems very picky in getting the primary partition for primary hd.

I have Windows and Linux already separated strictly. But I need to be able to share data between the OS's, and that's easiest with FAT32 partitions (I have two). The OS's themselves are completely separated on different pyhsical disks.

And remember, an ext2 root partition for linux passed the Windows startup sequence without comment, and I had the same HD layout then as I have now. I suppose that maybe Windose can't deal with ext3 on a primary partition in some configuration. Have you had any problems like me, or heard of someone who has? Or do you a windows forum where I might post, as it's rather a windows question?