ICQ and Gaim

ral

I tried both plugins and found them both to work identically, although in theory the straight ICQ plugin has been written specifically for the job and only the job and should therefore do it better.

Gaim is great, but I wish it would import my "buddy" list from the icq servers, like it does for MSN connections... I love chatting to people on 3 different systems at once though.

Yeah, I think it's in the FAQ on the Gaim website... Just use the default. Not the ICQ plugin, which should be removed... I don't know why they haven't taken it out yet.

And there are differences between the two.

Thanks DOlsen...I read the FAQ, but was not sure it was correct because I used both pluggin's and could not seem to chat with anybdy on my old ICQ list.

Was able to chat a few hours ago though :) with the ICQ/AOL default. I guess after a year my old ICQ list is no longer current (or maybe they moved on to another IM).

I like Yahoo best, because they have a LInux version.

Gaim is great, but I wish it would import my "buddy" list from the icq servers, like it does for MSN connections... I love chatting to people on 3 different systems at once though.

For ICQ, your contacts are stored in a file on your computer and not with a central server. Therefore, there is no way of importing contacts.

One thing I don't like about ICQ.

Nope, that only applies to no-ICQ contacts. When I used ICQ with windoze at the office it would keep my contacts on the server.

I know this because I've installed fresh on machines I've never used before and had my contacts. Also, if you use go.icq.com (the java icq client) your contacts are there..

It has been this way since the release of ICQ 2002a

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Robitaille20

I do know of an unofficial client that WILL pull down your contact list if you have used some of the latest ICQ clients on a Doze box. I can't get it to work on Mandrake, but it comes with RedHat. It's called GnomeICU.

You can download it at http://gnomeicu.sourceforge.net

If anyone can get it working (I'm a real newbie so it's probably my fault) please post here to explain how.....I CANNOT STAND gaim!

Thanks