Mandrake 9.2, 10 CE & 10 Official install problems

Guest sablecurls

Guest sablecurls

I'm building a Webserver in my RedRack unit and am having real problems with Mandrake installing.

I'm thinking that it may be a motherboard issue or something this is the history: I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has run into any of these issues.

Tried to install MDK 9.2, took about 8 reboots, before I could get an install to start. (Disks are fine, have installed with them on a database server, and mail server with no issues, plus I have 3 sets of 9.2 disks and tried them all on the webserver) Magically o the 8th reboot, the install started and gave errors on installing ld.config, install hung and wouldnt' continue. 9th reboot, I scaled down the programs to install to bare bones and it went fine. Installed fine.

Then I had the bright idea to install 10 Official when it came out, (again, disks are fine, used them on laptop dual boot with XP with no probs)

So, I try to install 10 on this webserver and most attempts, it lets me pick English as the language and then gives errors regarding perl locations, otherwise, it refuses to let me install graphically and takes me straight to the text version. I follow the text version and it hangs at "Please wait looking for packages" . So, after many attempts with the same output, I decide to tell it erase the entire disk on the next attempt. Now it lets me install graphically, all goes well...I pick the apps to install, the install starts normally, until it tries to install the kernel, it hangs, says go on anyway, I say no, and attempt again. Same output, errors at kernel install.

:screwy: I've been at this for 7 hours now and am exhausted...but the only thiing I can think of is to reset the jumper on the motherboard to reset bios. Any ideas here?

MB is Syntax 635MP, RedRak 1 unit won't fit CDROM so I had to take the top of on set a spare CDROM on top for the install.

Looking forward to the mass wisdom shooting my way!

Michelle

I don't know if it will make a difference, but the bios should be plug and play off, if possible. I think the newer kernels could care less about this. Is the cdrom OK? If the disks are good. the next issue would be cdrom. It just seems like a hardware problem rather than software. Server has been running OK?

I am thinking hardware related also... especially since your install disks worked great with other systems.

IF I were to make a stab at what to look into... I would look at the chipset and see if there are any issues between it and the kernel. Maybe you will need to use one of the alternative kernels for this setup.

I am not familiar with anything like this, but after looking up a similiar board, I see it may have a SiS chip. I also do not run any of those, so maybe I am shooting blanks here. ;)

I am sure someone else here will be familiar with these chips and any issues.

good luck and welcome aboard. :)

Guest sablecurls

For reference: the chips are: North Bridge: SiS635, South Bridge: SiS315E

I searched on these and see errors in darn near every distribution, from 1999 to present, though it seems that as of late, they are diminishing. However...the suggestions are bios/hardware related, most sayin dirty CD/CDROM. My CDROM is brand new 52x from Khypermedia and the cd I dont' think is the issue.

I turned off PNP by the way and reset BIOS to no avail. Now I've tried to go back to my 9.2 successful install, but all the installation attempts have corrupted the 9.2.

Also, tried passing the following options to the kernel at install: linux mem=256M, linux noapic, linux expert. Same result.

So, here goes another reboot.

Latest error at the point of Loading Program into Memory: Full Text follows:

Backticks found where operator expected at /usr/bin/perl-install/pkgs.pm line 652, at end of line (Missing semicolon on previous line?)

Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at /usr/bin/perl-install/pkgs.pm line 652.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/perl-install/install-steps.pm line 21.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/perl-install/install_steps.pm line 21.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/perl-install/install2.pm line 13.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/perl-install2.pm line 13.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/runinstall2 line 31.

BEGIN failed--commpilation aborted at /usr/bin/runinstall2 line 31.

exited abnormally :-(

sending termination signals...done

sending kill signals...done

unmounting filesystems...

/tmp/image

/tmp/stage2

you may safely reboot or halt your system

Typically, the first line of the error reads: Unmatched right curly bracket at /usr/bin/perl-install/partition_table/raw.pm line 90, at end of line and gives the Compilation failed and BEGIN failed errors like above, but points to different lines, i.e. line 20, 12 and 31.

Thanks for the ideas guys! Thank god this box is a prototype testing the phpWebSite app. Man, I'd be in H*ll if it was a production machine.

Michelle

Guest sablecurls

Even though we've been using MDK for years, I still feel like a newbie...(had so little problems, that alot of suggestions, I don't know how to do) i.e. "do a minimal install" not sure what that means...hardly had to compile kernel or anything in MDK, though with hubby's guidance, I attempted a few times when trying to rebuild mail server. Tried Gentoo a while back and said...oh man, am I way behind the learning curve, but I did a basic compile and came back to MDK.

That said...how would one do a "minimal install"? Does that mean try to get to a prompt and install from command line? I'll google on it &be back.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions...I went back to 9.2 on this webserver, since I had it running for a couple weeks with it...It's installing now, hopefully it won't err on the progs.

Minimal means to just install enough Mandrake to actually get a prompt, and then add your packages in a working system. The Mandrake installer has never been as good as a running system. So, with hardware issues that might simply be unknown, a working Mandrake will frequently install packages that the installer would error on. Let us know what's up!

Guest sablecurls

Thanks, I found it. When you don't select any packages, and choose next, the following screen shows minimal install. Unfortunately, I was unable to do a minimal install in 9.2 or 10 official. It's gotta be this chipset, I've swapped CDROMs and CD's again with the same result. I've been googling, but am having trouble making heads or tails of the references I'm finding. Many are code and requests for testing. Others are for other distributions.

Thanks again to all who responded!