identical drives confusion

Guest nedjo

Guest nedjo

I installed Mandrake 9.2 in a system with 2 IDE identical hard disks. hdda is a primary, hddb is a secondary master. Mandrake is on hdda. I want to share hddb through Samba. I made one partition hddb1 (ext3) and set mounting point to /home/data. When I mount hddb1 I have the whole / copied. If I go to /home/data/bin I see all files as in the /bin. I can not delete files or directories. Is Mandrake confused with two identical drives, or I am doing something wrong? :help:

Guest nedjo

I did everything with DiskDrake; partitioning and mounting. My fstab has this entry for hddb1:

/dev/hdb1 /home/data ext3 defaults 1 2

It looks OK to me. Other day I came across some forum where they mentioned simmilar problem, that Mandrake is confused when two identical hdd are installed in the system. As it goes, that was before I faced the same problem. Spent whole day on Google trying to find that message and forum, but no luck.

I removed partition and try with smaller partition on the same hdd and change mounting point to other directory, but result was the same.

Hdd are WD 400JB - 40GB each.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Make sure that both drives are using the right Master-Slave Combination, that is one as master and one as slave. Most drives are shipped with the jumper set into Cable select configuration and Linux can get confused with that combination.

Anyway. I am using two identical drives in my desktop (Maxtor 30 gb drive) due to an ordering mistake. I had no problem whatsoever using Mandrake 9.1, PclinuxOS and Mandrake 9.2.1