Playing Audio CDs

Nazgulled

Firstly if you do not have an audio cable installed, then please tell us what version of Xmms you have installed. Was it from Mandrake 10?? If it was then that version is able to be set up to read the cd digitally. You need to right click on Xmms itself then open Preferences and look at Input Plugins, look at the topmost plugin (forget what it is called at the moment since am not in Mandrake10 OE at the moment) click on it to highlight it and then make sure that tiny radio button is clicked in then open setup and you should see a choice to set for digital input. Click on it and save . To play the cd in Xmms then right click in the middle of the Playlist window and select install directory which will bring a window from which you select /mnt/cdrom. Double click on cdrom and you will see all the tracks then loaded into the playlist. Press play and you should be laughing ..... er.......playing.....er.....Hearing.

My directions may not be absolutely explicit but they should still get you there if you think a little about what you are doing as you go.

I remembered now why I installed the latest one from the site... last time I installed the rpm, xmms freezed when playing mp3... that's why uninstalled the rpm and installed the latest tarball from the sit... but i'll try to install the rpm again adn then update with the tarball

So you downloaded the latest tarball version....10. You still have to do the rest that I outlined to you and which you seem to have ignored. It doesn't matter how you installed XMMS, you still need to do those things.

Apart from that, your original problem would more than likely have been fixed by uninstalling the original xmms RPM and then reinstalling it using MCC on both ocassions.

Why are you going to do your back and forth install routine??? What do you expect to gain from that??? Now you have the lastest tar of xmms installed, leave it alone and get on with the suggestions. Your routine is not going to resolve anything.

John.

Well there is that AussieJohn except the plugins might be 'more compatible' with the urmpi current version if he uses urpmi for the plug-ins.

If he want to compile his own then probably better with the tar version ..he has now.

Im not big on encouraging people to compile if the rpm works but this is one area where plug-ins and decoders etc. can benefiot from the full MM instruction set in the compile. Please note I havent done this myself (except some video codecs which are REALLY heavy) becuase its just not woryth the effort (usually) but can be a good learning experience.

So in short ...

Id use RPM with RPM plugins and tar v10 if your compiling your own plugins.

Well, Nazgulled. I was wondering where bvc got the rpm for the latest version of xmms (dev one) and after some search I found it it here.Cooker

I downloaded the following files:

xmms-1.2.10-1mdk
libxmms1-1.2.10-1mdk

1) I unistalled the old version of xmms and libxmms (it will complain if you have kopete installed, but just do "rpm -e libxmmsyourversion --nodeps")

2) installed libxmms1-1.2.10-1mdk and xmms-1.2.10-1mdk

3) installed xmms-cdread-0.14a-4mdk via MCC, otherwise xmms won't recoginize the plugin (very strange, but It did happened, when doing rpm -i xmms-cdread...., it was installed but xmms didn't make the plugin available)

And now I have:

xmms-1.2.10-1mdk
libxmms1-1.2.10-1mdk
xmms-smpeg-0.3.5-3mdk
xmms-cdread-0.14a-4mdk
xmms-diskwriter-1.2.10-1mdk

Notice that any other plugin you will have to install from cooker repository otherwise the system will complain about the old libxmms that was deleted.

Good luck.