Laptop Linux

I'm just about ready to take the leap and install Linux on my laptop, but I want some advice before jump. First some sys. specs:

Averatec 3150

1.3G AMD Athlon XP-M 1600

256M memmory

S3 ProSavage8 video

MS 802.11G Wi-Fi card

I have been considering Debian for my laptop, so I downloaded the latest Knoppix and tried it out. Everything was recognized (except for that stupid wireless card) and runs like a champ on my computer. Here's the possibly stupid question:

Can I assume that because Knoppix/Debian recognized all my hardware and runs fine, that I should be able to put Debian on my laptop with the same success? Or, is there another Linux Distro that typicaly works better on laptops?

I helped a friend setup Linux on that same laptop. Mandake was a pain in the butt to get working right. Gentoo ran nicely after tweaking. But there seems to be some fan control power managment issues (acpi prolly) with it. Also, I'm hoping to put together a battery saving faq and guide soon, once I get mandrake 10oe installed on my lappy. It might be of help.

Edited by HJ

I feel a little more shure now.

HJ, I'll be looking for the FAQ, as I have MDK 10.0 on my desktop.

What about my supposition that if Knoppix works then Debian should also? Anybody know if I'm following some faulty logic here?

supposition that if Knoppix works then Debian should also, seems me right.

The point is if you have some experiencen in Debian installation and configuration....

For the begginners, Mandrake is the solution. With Mandrake 10 all the problems of ACPI APM get out...

Once I Tryed Debian... it was a nightmare (FOR ME, maybe not for you) because I was a Red Hat user Debian was like chinese characters....

kmc77....

Iphitus is right about the mess and jalos echos my first deb install.

However

If you download and install kantonnix it doesnt leave any mess like knoppix on the HDD install.

In fact the latest 05-04 promises 100% pure Deb ...

I share your logic with live Cds and laptops ....

Presently I have Lindows/linspire... becuase it worked but I wish Id tried knoppix/kantonnix FIRST.

I keep meaning to get rid of lindows and replace it with kantonnix and HD install....