Web Design?

All,

I want to build a web page that users can enter form data and schedule events or activities.

I've already got the form data part going using PERL (CGI parsers, etc) and I think I can pull together a calendar.

On the other side of this, I want to be able to generate reports and process the user-submitted information for other applications (the applications could be as simple as presenting the data in an HTML report, or a little more complex - interacting with Outlook and perhaps some other Winbloze apps). I will be using a MySQL database to store all of the data.

To build this and make it all work together (Linux & Winbloze), would PHP be best? PERL? JAVA? I'm not a coder, but I can muddle my way through PERL.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

if PHP offers the functions you want to use it for, it is very nice.

Since it can run on all Linux servers and is also used a LOT on Windoze servers, this would be a good choice if you're concerned about the server platform it will have to run on. Plus there are LOADS of forums, tutorials, information available on the web for PHP.

Thanks for your responses. In my experience, JAVA is a slow pig. I don't have any experience with PHP, but I have looked at some of the tutorials on PHP.net and it doesn't look too terribly bad.

Do you know of any IDEs that play nice with PHP? I know CoffeeCup HTML editor has some PHP stuff in it for websites, but is there a good IDE for creating UIs?

Thanks again!!!

Scott

PHP ui's are created using HTML, PHP spits out the HTML to the browser. Take a look at a PHP tutorial, and have a look at the basics. It is an awfully easy language that you could learn the basics in just an hour, and get onto the harder stuff.

To write PHP, usually its best to find an editor that you like, most editors do syntax hilighting

My preference is Cooledit

however these are also very good:

vi/vim

gedit

I am not sure about what offerings KDE has

there arent any IDEs for PHP.

iphitus

quanta+ is a webdesign-ide for kde. I've used it for a html-css projetc of mine and it was quite nice, although the menu is confusing//too crowded. It has also php-support, but I am nto sure if it is good. Don't know if it is reallyd ecent support for php (I remember something about it being not well, but can be wrong. was also a time ago).

For mozilla, .. there is a plugin for previewing php-pages:

http://mozphp.mozdev.org/

(projetc homepage): http://www.thomas-schilz.de/MozPHP/

Hopes this helps some.

I don't know of any other specific webdesign ide's for kde I like the integration with the desktop. It uses kwallet for storing passwords if you like and I discovered you can drag the project-name to ark (zipper) andit lists al files of your project then in the zip-app (you caould also zip the directory I suppose : lol). Yeah, normal stuff maybe, but handy.

Edited by Michel

Guest Adriano

Just as PHP is not designed for writing Operating Systems in, Java has not much to do with creating and maintaining web sites and web apps. It's like trying to use a Mack truck for daily driving in a city.

So yes, I'd recommend PHP (though I'd love to be able to use python) for creating dynamic webpages. Perl would be second (Disclaimer: I don't know Perl).

Good editors? Bluefish Editor.

Just as PHP is not designed for writing Operating Systems in, Java has not much to do with creating and maintaining web sites and web apps. It's like trying to use a Mack truck for daily driving in a city.

So yes, I'd recommend PHP (though I'd love to be able to use python) for creating dynamic webpages. Perl would be second (Disclaimer: I don't know Perl).

Good editors? Bluefish Editor.

you can use python

http://www.modpython.org/

http://www.ee.cua.edu/manual/mod/mod_pytho...n/tutorial.html

I've installed apache and php this weekend to aid me in redesigning a website and I have to admit php seems fantastic, and easy. If you have some idea of programming concepts (especially C), then it shouldn't be hard to learn at all.

Guest Adriano

Johnnyv, I know about modpython, but its existence is irrelevant for me: the server that hosts my pages hasn't installed it and won't maintain it just for me. I have no money to move to another server. So that's why I can't use python for webpages.