TI 4200 Nvidia

SwiftDeath

This video card seems to offer a pretty good performance/price deal. I hear its pretty descent of graphics and running games, with a pretty descent price.

Should I buy this card for gaming? I want to try and get a linux gaming machine.

Would this be the one to buy?

Does it work well with TV cards?

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

Id definitely recomend the Ti4200. The original reason I bought it was because of it's great features and cheap price :D

Of course, check out what illogic-al said about the conflicts with 2.6 kernel etc.

Otherwise, the Ti4200 is great! Hardware T&L, decent processor and RAM speed, and 128megs of RAM. The one I picked up was the Albatron Ti4200P Turbo, it was the cheapest of the few, has a massive heatsink/fan, and is factory overclocked to the speed of a Ti4400 I believe. The chip is also unlocked so youre free to wind it up to the speed of a Ti4600 or more if you want :devil:

plati

Problems with the 2.6 kernel? How bad are they? What kinda things? Does mandrake 10.0 come with that kernel?

I'll have to check if I have that certain motherboard.

And overclocking, that is new to me, isn't that a really easy way to break your parts and very dangerous? How many of you have had success at overclocking? Wheres a good place to learn what and what not to do.

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

I cant speak for the 2.6 kernel but I do deal *alot* in overclocking.

The Ti4200P is factory overclocked, so its very stable and ensured to last just as long as a non-factory-overclocked card. This is why Albatron put such a chunky HSF (heatsink/fan) on the chip and RAM.

You really dont have to push the card any harder, the speed Albatron set it at is just fine :)

If you are interested in overclocking, its very easy once you know the basics. Basically there isnt too much damage you can do unless you run your overclocked components at too higher temperature, or put too much voltage into it. I am a regular at the Overclockers Australia Forums and they have a great community there for people willing to learn about overclocking. You will have to become a member to read the forums, but its worth it :thumbs:

If you have any further questions or interest in overclocking, send me a PM.

Good luck with your choice

Edited by plati