URPMI Update problem

akuira

OK first off I am running Mandrake Linux 10.0

Community and I am using the EASY URPMI website to add

sources for updates, contribs, and main files... When

I add the sources through the command '

urpmi.addmedia ' it downloads my hdlist.cz or

synthesis.hdlist.cz fine and everything works great.

But... the problem is when I try to update my sources using

the command ' urpmi.update -a ' - I get this error:

computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)

examining MD5SUM file

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "esat.net_contrib"...

ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/mandrake/off...base/hdlist2.cz

computing md5sum of retrieved source hdlist (or synthesis)

...retrieving failed: md5sum mismatch

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "esat.net_contrib"

This actually happens with almost every single hdlist.cz / synthesis.hdlist.cz file when I try to update it in the terminal or in MCC... Has anyone else noticed this problem?

This can happen when the mirror is slow due to heavy use or other reasons. Just try a different mirror. I ue ftp.nluug.nl, even though I am in the US, because it always has good connection and speed for me.

And welcome to the board!

That's what I would assumed but I added 4 different mirrors and still the same!

I have two mirrors from the US (where I am at), one from Germany, and another from somewhere else... I went to all of the FTP locations on the web before downloaded to make sure I picked the fastest mirrors and they were all indeed fast...

LiquidZoo: I thought for sure that would work but I still get the same error, mostly on the Main hdlist.cz/synthesis.hdlist.cz...

I guess this will never end. I attempted to add three brand new mirrors from the Mandrakelinux.com mirror list and still no go.

I got a small few replies in other forums one saying to try and add ' -f ' to the command to force the hdlist.cz to be regenerated. I thought for sure this was it but it wasn't.

Everyone's first response is that the mirrors are either down, out-of-sync, or not accepting new connections. After being told this I disabled all of my current sources and tried adding three fresh locations straight from the Mandrakelinux.com download locations. Again it added them, downloaded the hdlist/synthesis.hdlist file just fine with no errors. Again when I try to update I get the "Md5Sum mismatch error."

The only thing I found that works to avoid seeing the missage is to add ' --no-md5sum ' to the command. This just avoids the checking of it though. Does anyone know if this might be bad for me?

As long as you download only correct RPMs probably not. But you might DL corrupted ones, or (in a very rare case) an rpm created by a cracker and in some way posted on the site. In the latest case this would probably soon be noticed and the bad rpm will be removed. But if not, who knows what the cracker might have put in the rpm. That would be like installing SW on M$! :jester: You might install Trojans, spyware, ...

All in all I think there is little chance, but it is for sure less secure.

Sorry, but I can't help you with that problem.

Try going here and use some of these mirrors.

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php

by right clicking on them and opening in a new window you get an idea on how fast the connection, how busy, and if they're working . I just re-installed today and had all patches ,security and bug fixes as well and the new kernels installed in less than 15 min B)

I've seen this problem too. I even had it happen quite often with 9.2 before switching to 10.0. My recommendation is to find some servers that work for you and stick with them. I really have no idea what the problem is exactly, but I don't think it is necessarily a problem with the servers. I would say it is most likely a problem with the way urpmi rebuilds the synthesis files. I don't have the problem when using MCC though to update. Actually, there really isn't a need to update all of your sources that I know of, just the update (unless of course your running cooker). I could be wrong, but I believe that once the main and contrib sources are written, they don't change until the next version. My recommendation: just update your distro through MCC and all should be well.