Best Buy for a New Modem (Mandrake 10.0)

Hugolino

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Fry's Electronics had the External US Robotics 5686 for $70.00. I paid $110.00 a year ago :angry: . Hook it up and point kppp or drakconnect to ttyS0 (com1) and you're done (except for maybe dns of your isp)....but the point is that the driver is in the kernel, so you don't have to worry about driver installation/configuration. I loved it. Expensive? The US Robotics Controlled PCI 5610B (if you can find it) is the next one I'd go for. Same driver....in the kernel....no driver install needed (ttyS4/com5). It's around $40.00. These are Houston, Texas prices.

Oh, and welcome to the board! :D

Edited by bvc

Yes, external modems are a great investment. Using one will make a pretty big difference in speed when dialed out to the internet. If you buy an internal, you risk it being a winmodem, and the you have to deal with finding drivers for it and getting it to work! External is -much- easier, and better.

Oh, and welcome to the board! :D

Thanks! My eldest brother convinced me to try Mandrake Linux when he helped build me a new computer late last summer, and I'm still pretty clueless with it. I didn't realize this free Mandrake forum existed until today (April 27th), and I wish I had found it earlier!

Yes, external modems are a great investment.

My brother actually gave me an old Conexant modem (not a WinModem) when he built my computer, but the commercial Linux drivers for it require a small fee and when I loaded the crippled trial version I discovered it hadn't been updated for two Linux kernal releases (see linuxant.com). Since money was tight, I've limped along for many months since then, but am ready and able to change that now.

I'm still debating whether it would be better to buy a license for an outdated modem driver or to just buy a modem that would be recognized already. It seemed to make more sense to me to buy a new modem instead of having to pay a fee to upgrade my modem driver every few Linux releases, especially when its already outdated.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with Conexant or move to a new modem? :unsure:

I'd move to a new modem myself - those Conexant drivers restrict what you can do regarding updating to new kernels etc. I bought a Zoom external modem a couple of years ago (can't remember the model number off hand) which cost about £40 and worked perfectly with no tweaking needed.

Greetings all,

I did buy a U.S. Robotics Controlled PCI 5610B modem, which installed fine after two hours of dealing with an apparent IRQ conflict and trying to figure out where to find the device (/dev/modem). But one strange thing is that in the past three days I've only been able to connect at 14.4 speed, even though my provider supports V.92 at 56K. Any ideas?

I'm still running Mandrake 9.2 until my latest version arrives by mail. Is this a problem that will clear up in Mandrake 10.0?

Thanks for your help.

have you checked your settings? I can't imagine that if there's an actual problem with the moden that it would knock itself down to 14K, though I guess that's possible (I'm no hardware guru). I see no other possibilities, than software settings, hardware failure or isp problems.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't appear to be an ISP problem, and the settings seem to be fine. But all is not perfectly well, because when I use the Mandrake configuration utility to check the hardware the modem shows up among the question marked devices (as the right U.S. Robotics modem, but without a driver listed). I'm using KPPP to connect to the Internet and the settings appear to be fine. KPPP is pointed to /device/modem which seems to be the only thing that works, and the speed of the modem is listed (currently) at 110K (in the KPPP settings that is). But the actual connection speed is always listed as 14.4 K

Is there any way to test the modem or my settings? Query modem always appears to work and gives back all the correct information for my modem.

Thanks for any help.

Guest markx

Reminds me of a problem I had back in my unenlightened days of running windows. My 56k Mitsubishi internal would only work after adding some commands to initialisation string, but would never go faster than 33.6k. The ISP techies said this was because of irreconcilable differences between their equipment and my modem.

Would it be worth calling your ISP in your case? That was the only way I ever got connected using my Mitsubishi.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

:headbang: Hooray for U.S. Robotics (3Com)! :D

I wrote two e-mails to their technical support guys, and (after they learned I was using Linux and not Windows) they solved the problem with a long modem initialization string! How awesome!

6/10/2004

Re: Email ID 3184248

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics. 

Try using the followng string:

AT&F1X3 +PMH=1 +PQC=3 +PIG=1

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to assist you.  Should you require

further assistance with your U.S. Robotics product, please feel free to contact us

again. 

Again, thank you for choosing U.S. Robotics.

If you need to reply to this message for more information or to answer any questions

we might have asked you, please click on Reply and include all previous

correspondence.  This allows us to track your issue more efficiently and to resolve

your issue more quickly.

Your feedback is important to us.  Please visit our web site at

http://www.usr.com/feedback in order to rate your support experience.

Sincerely,

Desmond

-----Original Message-----

Sent:10/06/04

Subject:Re: Case ID:3183453

Ah, but I can't use the Control Center because I'm using Mandrake Linux

(not Windows).  So to disable v.92 I would think that I'd need to use the

initialization code.

I tried to follow the user's guide and disable v.92 but I apparently did

so incorrectly because it didn't seem to change anything.  Even when I

tried to put in the initialization code requiring a minimum connection

speed of 33.6k it still kept connecting at 14k.  So I think I did not

understand the user's guide correctly.

Thank you for your help.

Three cheers for a company that actually is able to help clueless Linux users! And three cheers for you guys for helping me to narrow down the problem in the first place! :D