CDRom & ML10CE

Hashimoto

Ladies and Gents,

When I insert a CDRom in the DVD/CDR (an old LG) and open up the Konqueror I have no probs reading the contents. But when I try top do it for another CDRom, I have no success. The same is true to the CDRW (HP something). Only the first read is succesfull. During the second attempt only part of the files are shown, sometimes the names (of those few files) are replaced by question marks and sometimes absolutely nothing shows up in the window.

Closing the Konqueror window inbetween the changes does not help. It seems that Konqueror is running even after closing the window (process in the Kmonitor (?) window still there), but killing this process does not help.

The discs should be OK since I can read them in the office. So, is this and issue with Konquer or are both of my equipment failing at the same time? Any hints?

Hashimoto

i had the same problem with 10CE for a while. It vanished shortly after I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.3-7mdk. It didn't happen instantly though: it took a couple of days *curiously*

What kernel are you running? Have you upgraded it from the original install? Also: have you checked to see if "Lookahead" and "DMA" have been enabled on your CD drives?

Had the problem as well just after installing ML 10.0 CE. Vanished after some update (don't remember which one) already long ago. I thought that that was long before the kernel update though.

Basically, try to update your system completely. Let us know if that solves your problem.

Ciao,

Sitor

Thanks guys,

This forum just amazes me in the responsiveness!

I run the original CE without any updates. Got to update, I guess, but since I'm behind a modem, I got to wait till I'm back in the office and can burn the updates on a CDR. On the other hand the OE will soon be out, so maybe I'll wait for it. Let's see

Hashimoto

modem? You can use wget from the commandline and do it while you sleep B) .

wget -cr -nd --level=1 <url>

If you lose your connection it can start from where it left off ;) . Just a thought.....I'm sure broadband and a cdr is faster.

Edited by bvc