install urpmi

jeanrev

Hi all,

I installed MDK 9.1 in text mode and configuration minima

the question is : how do I install the package urpmi ?

second question do I need it to install fetchmail, procmail and mutt ?

Thanks to be very plain for a beginner !

:juggle:

urpmi is installed by default. To prove it and see what version you have, open a terminal window and do:

$ rpm -q urpmi

To install a package either use the Software Manager GUI, or as root:

# urpmi -v <packagename> (as in # urpmi -v mutt)

The "-v" verbose option will give more info, which I like, but can be skipped. Anyway, this will install the named package, finding and resolving any dependencies for you. To make things even easier, go to:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

and follow the instructions to setup a few mirrors. The you don't even need to put in your CDs. urpmi will go on the web, download and install packages and updates automagically, just like Debian's much-touted apt-get. Hint: Don't use Cooker mirrors unless you feel adventurous.

And, yes, urpmi is the way to install all software, including Mutt, procmail, etc. Packages *can* be installed form source tarballs or source rpms, but almost anything you might want or need should be available in rpm form on either your CDs or online. Save learning source installs for later after you get more comfortable with Linux.

If you need help with installing ad configuring Mutt, procmail and fetchmail, let me know, I use them all and can help.

Edited by Crashdamage