Lindows 4.5.2

I'm sure it's 'wonderful' for some people.

It all depends on what you want and don't want to do with your system. That's why there are about a gazillion different distro's out there.

Oh yeah, you can get Linspire (had to change their name) from bittorrent now:

"To raise awareness of the name change, Lindows has a promotion.

Go here: http://www.linspire.com/btorder

Now click the "Apply Coupon" button. Type in LINDOWS as the coupon.

You now have a free version fo Linspire 4.5."

Although I'd really advise you to try *also* a few different ones.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

Lindows is good for those who just want it to work (except it seems bvc) and have no intention of ever learning HOW/WHY.

My mum is complately computer illiterate and has no wioth to learn and Lindows is what Id give to her.

Mandrake is a bit more fiddly but more complete and the fact you need to fiddle a bit means you learn.

Lindows is even a bit hard to learn because it hides stuff away like Windows. So if it does what yuou want fine but if not you need to learn loads of stuff. Mandrake is much more incremental, it might need a slight tweak but you dont need to take a giant step.

Lindows is good for those who just want it to work (except it seems bvc) and have no intention of ever learning HOW/WHY.

I tried, just because, and out of complete bordom :unsure: I wanted to beta test it 3 years ago at its conception but was too much of a n00b :D and the kernel had poor support for my chipset. Just something I always wanted to do.....like an unfullfilled desire or something :unsure: .....that's why it was so bitter sweet when all I could get is a blk screen at first boot :lol: :angry:

root? :unsure: did someone say root? :cheeky:

yeah, it's for windows converts....I think it's a great way of making things easier for them....heh, not any diff than running win, so why not. They can secure the box later if they want to.

exactly BVC.... is strange I had the same with Xandros....

I have to admit later Lindows have all worked for me, even if I dont like it personally I have to admit it works....

Actually the root thing is a good point.

Its actually 2 minutes to create a non-root user and it then prompts with the kde su thingy.... so securing lindows IS easy but better still its possible unlike Windows.

I honestly believe there is a need for distro's LIKE lindows, lycoris etc. and its like arguing about a cool truck vs a sports car. Some people will argue for the truck and others for the sports and yet others for fuel economy. Altogether Mandrake is too techy for my mum AND I want it to stay that way. My Dad probably would be OK even though he's older than my mum and in his 70's but he's not interested either.

So rather than see Mandrake become a watered down distro for the masses I prefer it to be one for those who are interested, just like when I choose my car I choose one for someone whos prepared to do some work and get better performance.

mm gowater has a good point. I think its fair enough there be something like Linspire/Lindows for the newbie masses. People say 'why not just use windows' but one of the reasons we use linux is because its cheap/free.

Keep Linspire for the newbies who just want something which works, and if people want to stretch out and leanr more, they can go for it!