Wine to run 95% of windows programs by end 2005?

Darkelve

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibil...11fad03cac09856

Extract:

"Putting a Stake in the Ground

Up to this point, the perception has been that Wine only runs a limited number of Windows applications. For instance, CodeWeavers' CrossOver Office only officially supports about a dozen applications. However, the truth is that CrossOver runs many Windows applications quite well, although they may not be officially supported. Now, we're raising the bar. We are confident that Wine has matured to the point that CrossOver will run 95% of all Windows applications by the end of 2005. This Compatibility Center has been established in order to document that progress as Wine makes the next great leap forward."

Hype or reality?

From their site FAQ (bold font=mine)

"Q. Are there any Windows applications that you can't get working under CrossOver?

A. Our experience suggests that the answer to this is most likely "probably not". For all practical purposes, we think we can make anything run under CrossOver. After all, if we can make MS Office run, odds are pretty good that we can get your application running, too. The only question is how much work is entailed."

They probably have a point. Office must be a *beast* to get to run.

Well.. the 95% is a bit high for me. I mean.. even Windows XP can't run 95% of all windows applications (without going into compatibility mode that is).

But with enough work and resources, I guess everything is doable. :)

I've been using Crossover for about a year now. Works great with Photoshop 7. Ive also used it to install alot of the non-supported stuff such as: DreamweaverMX and Flash 5.

I think its a great program but I hope its not detering software companies from coding for Linux.

I've been using Crossover for about a year now.  Works great with Photoshop 7.  Ive also used it to install alot of the non-supported stuff such as: DreamweaverMX and Flash 5.

I think its a great program but I hope its not detering software companies from coding for Linux.

I know what you mean, but like they say on the website: it is to end the catch-22.

Once Linux becomes popular enough for home machines, I am sure people will start to make native programs for Linux. But for that to happen, bridging technologies are essential.