A legal question.

SoulSe

Hiya

I was wondering (and it seems like a stupid question) whether one would be allowed to package Linux cds (of a distribution like Mandrake or Gentoo - GPL obviously) with a manual and sell it?

Because obviously you cannot charge money for the actual distribution, you are in fact charging for the media, the box, the manual and the service rendered.

Now the obvious answer is yes you can - there are online shops that do (although they generally sell only cds).

But what is the exact right answer?

I would like to sell a "Linux starter kit" which would have an easy to use distro in a box with a colourful and helpful manual.

Ethically, I would contact the said distro and get some deal where they collect a percentage of sales or whatever.

Doable?

Ya know what i like here

On other forums that im on, if someone had posted a simple 'yes' like cyberjackle did then, it would have been followed by 5 people flaming him for pointless posts, spam, to boost post count and other crap.

That doesnt happen here, and that rocks!

They do have some posters, which are be re-designed, as well as some brochure style .pdf's.  I would like to see more, and hope that we will soon, especially as they are starting to make money again.

It is a perfect illustration that there exists marketing materials for Mandrake and I have never seen any in any retailer! What good is marketing if it is a secret?? :huh:

Ya know what i like here

On other forums that im on, if someone had posted a simple 'yes' like cyberjackle did then, it would have been followed by 5 people flaming him for pointless posts, spam, to boost post count and other crap.

:lol2:

flammers don't bother me!

Sometimes a simple yes or no will do! Maybe's require explanation.

If someone doesn't thing my opinion is valid, well its an opinion so I couldn't careless or is it could careless?

Thinks for allowing me to post again :cheeky:

Ya know what i like here

I agree - this is the friendliest, most chilled out forum I've ever been on.

Although I'll probably get this post moved to offtopic now ;)