Debian-based distros: screen freeze

The three distro's based on debian (Lindows, Mepis and Xandros) I used recently all work excellently on my PC except... sometimes I get a screen freeze, for no apparent reason at all. I can't do a 'quick restart' (ctrl+alt+backspace) and I can't even get into a virtual console by pressing Ctrl+F1. I can move my mouse, but all the rest freezes. So I have no other option but to reboot.

I am not really sure about this, but I suspect this could be related to my video card, which is a nVida Gefore MX440. Needless to say, this is very annoying! Mandrake doesn't have this problem AFAIK.

So what could be the problem here? And what can I do to locate and solve the problem?

Currently on my HD: Xandros (30-day demo version). But I'd happily install e.g. Mepis if it's easier to track down the problem. After all, if it's solved in one distro, it should be solved in all 3, right?

Thanks,

Darkelve

Dont have any answers for you except your not alone. I absolutly LOVE Mepis, but it locks up on me. I have WinXP, Mandrake 10ce and Mepis installed. I use Mandrake primarily but would use Mepis almost exclusivly if it were more stable. What MOBO are you using? I'm using a MSI K7N420 Nforce board. It COULD be the video card because I think I'm also running a MX440, I'd have to double check (its a hand me down I stole from a friend when I got fed up with my Radeon 9000)

Full info:

Asus A7N266-C

Socket A Motherboard

nVidia nForce 415-D Chipset

DDR SDRAM

I wonder what'll happen if I disable 3D and use the 'nv' module instead of nvidia module. I wonder if that would help??

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like that the problem is from their mother, Debian. I use debian-3.0-r1 (old enough). My onboard ProSavageDDR (savage4) doesn't recognized so I have to use vesa. And sometime (ussually in the middle of the night when I compiling packages) it goes freeze, but it only happened when the X11 is running. So I only get the freezing-hang-blackscreen machine in the mornign when I get up. Only thing that I can do is push the power button.

probably, the nvidia module is known to cause some probs

idud ... my guess is to either change graphics card or find a better driver and manually install it. 

Probably the version of it your using....

My problem is the opposite :screwy:

Try a later nvidia driver.....