Switching Directories

neocytrix

Hello everyone,

I am going to sound like a complete idiot here lol but when im in the terminal it wont let me switch to a directory called New Folder, I had a similar problem in dos switching directories but I don't know what to abbreviate things too or if thats even what I have to do.

-Neocytrix

cd to the first level directory that contains the folder. do a "ls" and see what it is called. Then you can simply yype

cd foldername

Edited by Ixthusdan

the command........

cd

(then enter)

will let you change directories. a couple of things to know, if you don't already........

Linux is caps sensitive. so, if New Folder is spelled that way, you'd need to make sure you have the proper capitalization. also, if you have a space between those words (New(space)Folder) you'll need to use an asterisk (*) between New Folder. Linux doesn't read spaces between words as empty spaces, per se'. if for some reason you created New Folder as root & are trying to enter it as user, you may run into permission problems. IE: user (you) don't have the necessary permissions to enter the directory. also, when cd'ing from a one directory to another you need to type the complete path to that directory. meaning, if you are currently in /usr/lib & New Folder is in /home/user(you) you'd need to type the complete path which would be.......

cd /home/(yourusername)/New*Folder

so, i would give this a try. if you are already in the directory that contains New Folder, in terminal as user (you) issue the following command if the above capitalization & space between the words conditions are true.....

cd New*Folder

there is no need for the /(forward slash) if you're already in the directory that contains New Folder. if you get a permission denied message, then do the same as root.

hope that helps a bit..........

Chris

Edited by chris z