So this is what Gnome really looks like

ral

Use ML8.2 with KDE for 5 months. Swith to ML9 and KDE after that. Than used RH8 with Bluecurve Gnome.

Upgraded my spare PC so I can run bot RH8 and ML9 on decent machines (two Linux distros running side by side... must be what heaven is like :) ).

Anyway, I decided to try ML9 with Gnome. So this is what it looks like. All I can say if the RedHat did a good job with their Gnome desktop.

No, actually, I think RH cuts down on some features and changes the look all together --- less configurability but a nice clean look. Actually, its hard to tell the RH KDE and Gnome desktops apart.

As for configuration. Yep spent the past hour or so configuring ML9 Gnome to look like ML9 KDE.

If you like KDE use KDE

if you like Gnome use Gnome

If you like blackbox use it

etc

etc

I don't see the point in changing a wm to look and behave like another, you might as well use the one that you were trying to get it to look like. That said you can change the look of your wm however you want just don't expect that i will think your desktop looks the best, because mine does. :wink:

Actually, I am kinda emabarrrased about making this post. When I first used KDE on ML8.2, I thought, hey its like Windows...

Than I tried Gnome on RH8 and said hey its like Windows.

Now I am using Gnome on on ML9 and modified it to look like KDE...hhhmmm something wrong here.

Anyway, I spent about three hours last night using the default Gnome again...mostly out of curiusity about why they would made a desktop look like that...and well...okay, its pretty easy to use ad works well. All the essential buttons are found on top...and actually when I get used to it, it may be better than a Windows like desktop...

Sorry, I guess after years of Windows, I still expect everything to look like it (which is stupid I know). What can I say, I am still a half cooked Linux user. :oops:

The reason I don't use gnome2 in mandrake is simple, the desktop reminds me of old macOS and I LOATHE macOS (not OSX, but that's another story).

Besides I don't care about where to put the startmenu, but don't decrease my desktop space further by using two panels instead of one. KDE has better eye candy in any case :)

So, you don't use gnome2 because you won't spend 10 min. deleting and creating the bar you want? How much time do you spend customizing kicker? Very weak excuse IMO. You don't have to have both top and bottom. :wink:

KDE has better eye candy in any case
"Better" is a matter of taste, but kde definately has more :wink:

I actually tried to customize the panels in gnome2, but have no idea how.. I can delete the bottom panel (which is basically just a place to put the taskbar), but I don't know how to move the top panel (the start menu,etc) to the bottom (or at least not as intuitive as kde which is just drag and drop). I tried looking into the gnome control center and nothing about that.. after a few hours of searching and doing a google lookup.. I gave up. Why do I try to customize the gnome desktop when I have a perfectly nice desktop in my kde3 anyway.

I am actually doing the gnome2 thing for a friend who used to be a gnome fan (he worked at Sun, so he better be). I know that he gave up also and use ICEWM as his default desktop.

I actually tried to customize the panels in gnome2, but have no idea how.. I can delete the bottom panel (which is basically just a place to put the taskbar), but I don't know how to move the top panel (the start menu,etc) to the bottom (or at least not as intuitive as kde which is just drag and drop). I tried looking into the gnome control center and nothing about that..  after a few hours of searching and doing a google lookup.. I gave up.  Why do I try to customize the gnome desktop when I have a perfectly nice desktop in my kde3 anyway.  

I am actually doing the gnome2 thing for a friend who used to be a gnome fan (he worked at Sun, so he better be).  I know that he gave up also and use ICEWM as his default desktop.

yes i don't use gnome myself but it's great that it's there.

I may use it latter at some point, there are some good applications written in gnome(not just gtk) that i like too use in kde.

The beauty of Gnome to me is how customiseable it is. If you want it to like like MacOS then it can, if you want it to look like Windows, no problem. Play around with it a bit and get it looking however you please.

I must agree with johnnyv though, if you can't get Gnome to look like KDE, why not use KDE?

Put the salt in the salt shaker, ya know?

I like Gnome because it isn't as user friendly (if you know what I mean) as KDE and Enlightenment, etc. I hate little help boxes popping up all over the place. Blackbox is also cool for it's simplicity.

I don't know how to move the top panel
You can't. It can only be customized or deleted.
or at least not as intuitive as kde which is just drag and drop
you can drag and drop in the gnome panel as well :wink:

The start menu ect...is in the rt click menu to add to the new bottom panel, edge panel, float panel, many panels, any size, and almost as easy as kde.

On a side note: I know it's a matter of taste, but what's the point of increasing the height of a bar, to just decrease the width, if you can't even get a rt click menu on the kde desktop? To look like osx? I have yet to see a shot that looks even remotely like the real thing in linux. I've seen dx themes that look a lot like osx, but that's for windows.

The popups in Enlightenment can be turned off.