totally totally new to this

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok I have to keep rebooting to try all of the suggestions on this topic page..

I get the localhosts login..don't know what to log in though??? what name???

but also, something about no video screen..not sure what this means..it's a laptop..can anyone please get me past second base? I may not have even installed it right..I hAD NO CLUE what I was doing for the partiton stuff..I installed xp first.that's easy..but than when I was installing linux..it was all kinda greek..I figured it's a great way to learn it..but I'll need some :help: first ..thanks guys

Welcome to the board!

During the install you should have set up the

root password

and a

user name

and

password

To login as root, type;

root

and hit Enter, then type the password (you will not see anything) and hit Enter.

To login as the user you hopefully set up type the;

username

and hit Enter, then type the password (you will not see anything) and hit Enter

For video, you need to configure your videocard with either drakconf or XFdrake. Login as your user and do what we call "su to root" by typing;

su

and hit Enter, then type the root password and hit Enter. Then type;

XFdrake

and hit Enter, and configure your video. DO NOT test your config but exit XFdrake. After you're done exit as root by typing;

logout

and hit Enter. The type;

startx

and hit Enter. If X (video) fails, post the errors here.

Edited by bvc

Lots of questions.

Login: when you were installing Mandrake, you were hopefully asked to create a user. For this user, you would have supplied a username and a password. When you get to the localhost login screen, you need to supply the username and the password of the user you created while installing Mandrake.

If you do not remember going through this step and creating a user, than you should probably reinstall Mandrake to ensure that you do this. Also, so that you are consious of adding this user.

Screens: This means that the software that controls what is called the X Server - technically called XFree 86 - can not find a setting that will work with your laptop screen. This generally means that you did not setup the video part correctly when you were doing the install.

When you get to the end of the install, there is a screen that has a list of the different parts and whether they were configured or not. Do you remember what this last screen said and do you remember going through and setting up your video card and monitor? If you do not, then you need to go back and reinstall Mandrake taking extra care to check that everything on this last screen is configured properly.

In addition, I would stronly suggest taking a trip over to the Mandrake website and reading through the install manual for mandrake. This will let you know what to expect and fill you in on a lot more detail concerning what is happening at each stage.

Hope this helps, any more questions, just shout.

oops I've started too screens..can someone please move my other posts over here...it's under installing mandrake I think.SORRY.....I'll post over there to not reply ..thanks..

I'll now go and reinstall mandrake..I' did mess it up because I remember it asking for a password..but not a username..go figure..

THANKSSSSSSS

ok, I did not mark my cd's when I dnloaded them and made them so they are all mixed up. I've started each one and none of them will start over and boot up..except one: But heres what it says:

YOUR CPU DOES NOT SUPPORT LONG MODE: USE A 32BIT VERSION

so that's when I went and dnloaded version 10

but I just want to start from scratch as suggested and reinstall 9.2

so...I guess I have to redownload it because I can't find a bootable copy...Do I just go and find 9.2??? anything as long as it says mandrake???

First of all, before you do anything, what kind of notebook are you trying to install Mandrake onto? In addition, check this site out for information on installing Linux (covers all kinds of different types of Linux) onto notebook computers. Navigating the site should be fairly self-explanatory. Here is the link:

http://www.linux-laptop.net

Before I ever try and install Mandrake, or Linux, onto a notebook I check this site first. It has articles written up by people that have tried to install Linux onto almost every notebook ever made. The nice thing is that if there are any little bugs or gotchas, then they will most likely be listed in the articles along with any tricks for getting past them.

As for downloading Mandrake. Make sure that what you download is for an x86 computer. I believe that there is a version of Mandrake 9.2 that only works on a Mac.

And definitely label them next time :o

Another little tip. If you are completely new to Linux, than why not download a Linux version called Knoppix. This is a version of Linux that fits onto a single CD. It is what is called a live Cd. this means that you put it into your computer, boot the computer and you can run an entire Linux distro straight from the CD. No need to install. And it does not touch the hard drive at all.

This will allow you to play with Linux and get a feel for it without having to worry about doing the install.

Here is the link to the download page. All you need to do is to download the ISO, burn it to a CD, boot your computer off the CD and start playing with linux.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

My computer is a dell inspiron 2600, Celeron 1.200mhz, 520mgs ram, 40gig drive

I definitely dnloaded 9.2 .and made another copy of 1 and still same message: your cpu does not support long mode, use a 32bit .

how wierd is that..I installed mandrake somehow..I'm rebooting and going to try hitting F1 first..see if that brings up anything...

I've also checked out this entire laptop site. Ive read for hours and hours tonight..

I NEED A DRINK

:-)

well since your laptop is Celeron it should be i386 or i686. DO NOT use PPC or anything else.

There are 3 CDs for 9.2. Actually you can also download Mandrake 10.0. And Knoppix is completely different from Mandrake, it just runs from the CD.

Hm. Clicking "next" as fast as possible isn't such a good way to install things, you know. :unsure: Did you burn the CDs properly? Maybe that's why they won't boot.

Edited by arthur

leebrendalee,

In your other thread you asked for some basic info on Mandrake Linux.

Here are some sites that have helped me about half a year ago:

1. aRTee's site: aRTee is also a visitor of this board, and gives very good advice. His site is (I think) exactly what you wanted.

2. This site discusses how to configure Mandrake 9.1. Most of this was still valid for 9.2 and probably even still is for 10.0. Warning: Under Windows this site gives you a lot of annoying pop-up windows, not under Linux.

3. Once you got Mandrake installed, you might need help to find out which application can help you. The Table of equivalents site helps you with that by giving Linux equivalents to software that runs on M$ Windoze.

Oh, and since you have a Celeron CPU, you need the I586 version. From the error message, it looks like you tried AMD64 first. Don't try PPC, it will fail again.

As a background: there are different consecutive versions of Mandrake Linux (9.1, 9.2, 10.0, etc.). Each of these version are ported to different computer architectures (I586, PPC, AMD64,...). The most known architecture is the PC architecture (Intel and Intel-like CPU's). This is always the first supported architecture. The other architectures like PowerPC (PPC) and 64 bit (AMD 64) are supported later for the same version of Mandrake.

Have fun,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

ok, sorry to be so dense...there are these version: AMD64, I586, PPC which is 9.1, I'm downloading that version now seeing as the 9.2 version doesn't work on my computer..gotta be something with the Dell..wierd..

As has already been stated:

AM64 - This is for the new 64 bit Opteron processor from AMD. Do not download this, it won't work. I also agree that from the sounds of things, this may be what you downloaded before.

i586 - This is the one that you need. The Celeron processor would fall into this category. Remember the old 386 and 486? This is where the numbers come from. The first Pentium was the 586 and the newer Pentiums and Celeron processors are 686.

PP - This stands for Power Processor. This is the name of the chip that all Macs now use. Don't download this as it won't work either.

As for Knoppix, yes it is as cool as Mandrake. However, it is also a different kind distribution. Knoppix runs completely from the CD and does not require being installed on your hard drive. As such, it makes playing with Linux a lot easier as all you need to do is to insert the Cd and reboot. Installing Mandrake, or any kind of Linux, can be quite a task (as you have found out). Knoppix skips this task and allows you to play and learn without having to do the install.

I would strongly advice you to visit the Mandrake website and read through the install manual for the version that you download. These are usually available in pdf format and will make the install process a lot easier.

In addition, pay attention to every step. Never ever just hit next in order to install. regardless of what people say, this is not Windows, and Mandrake requires a little thought when doing an install. (not much thought mind you, but a little) The key thing to take notice of is the last configure screen in the install. At the end you will get to a single screen that will list all the elements (except software) of your computer and whether they are configured or not. This includes the video card, monitor, networking, bootloader, printer, etc. When you get to this screen, make sure that everything is configured. You will know that things are configured by the fact that they will have all the configuration information listed after the item.

Hope that helps.

OH my good grief...I'm never going to get this right I'm sure. Just downloaded version 9.1 ppc but apparently I can't use it now after reading this post...ok..so there's another 3 cd's gone..that's ummmm 12 so far..LOL

It's funny that I'm suppose to download now i586..holy sugar..this computer isn't even a year old...and I guess celeron must suck or something...ok so now I'm redownloading version 10 again..but I'm pretty sure it won't work..because I have it already....that's the one that said something about 32bit version..I wish it didn't take so long to download..3-4hours...than another hour to burn...errrrrr

ok while this is downloading I'll go look at those sites that were suggested....I have tuesday off..so should be able to GET SOMETHING going here.