totally totally new to this

Does someone have a better download site. I'm downloading version 10 again i586 but really..I'm not sure this is right because I aleady downloaded it??? Is there 2 versions of 10?????? I already have 10 COMMUNITY D? So I'm assuming that i586 is different...and WILL WORK on my celeron..that's only 1 year old?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brenda,

Imho (in my humble opinion) it seems like you are trying to rush things too much. You have to prepare at least a bit or you will get into trouble.

By the way, what do you mean with 10.0 community D ?

I always go to www.distrowatch.com, then find the closest mirror for your country. It also has good reviews and a tutorial on how to download and burn.

And again: don't rush things.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

ok, I installed version 10 i586...but it still doesn't load. I'm pretty sure it's just because I don't know how to load it. I was able to log in...username and password..beyond that...I'm stuck..back to reading now..

regarding the version 10 that I had downloaded before. it says its a communitiy version..not sure what this is but doesn't matter now..I have the correct one now..

thanks for everyones help. I'll go read on what to do next and than come back and ask for more help.

Not to be rude, but the next thing that you need to do is to go and find someone who knows what they are doing and get them to show you around linux for a bit.

By the way, does your screen look something like the attached image?

If it does, then you have logged into Linux. Congrats. Probably not what you were expecting. In terms of getting something that looks like windows, you may still have a long way to go and a lot more to learn.

post-26-1080087148.ibf

Okay, either you have not configured your monitor and video card properly or you have another problem. While doing a little research over at http://www.linux-laptop.net I found that there may be a bug with the bios and the video. Although this is supposed to have been solved with the 2.4.20 with a further patch being required.

If your problem is the later, than you have a fair ways to go before getting a usable LInux install. To make things even more complicated, you are probably using the new 2.6.3 kernel. So who knows if the patch for your notebook is compiled into it.

For others, here is some more info:

http://dominia.org/~jlee/inspiron/

So the fact that you are looking at the command line and not at a nice little desktop is the fault of the integrated video on your laptop, not your Linux install skills, most likely.

Edited by fuzzylizard

I think reinstalling and picking "upgrade" instead of clean install would get you into the monitor section again. I'm not sure about this, but my laptop LCD panel uses HSync 31.5-48.5 and Vsync 40-70.

If you know your LCD specs then you just type "xf86config" (lowercase) at the prompt and it will start the config wizard. save the config as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Finally, do startx.

oh dear you are right.  I remember picking a standard monitor instead of a digital flat panel...and it's an intel 830 graphics controller which I did pick.  I was hoping there was a way to go back and fix things..??

btw, you have a really cool desktop..

Thanks.

For Dell, you need to pick the Dell Flat Panel or laptop 1024 x 768 monitor. It should be about the 3rd or 4th option down under the dell section.

As for the video bios thingy, you may need to install patch for XFree 86. XFree is the program that takes care of setting up the video and input sections of Linux. It is the program that allows you to run a desktop. If it ain't happy, then you ain't ever gonna get a nice shiny desktop to work.

By the way, installing Linux onto some laptop computers can be a lesson in frustration, even for pros. So don't take this experience personally. There are only two LInux distributions that I can get to successfully run on my notebook -- Red Hat and Mandrake. This is because of a similiar bug with the integrated video and the bios.

ok upgrade didnt fix it,..no video bios modes for chosen depth

Yep, you are going to have to apply a patch to either the kernel or to xfree. Neither of which is an easy undertaking. You have two choices now, either admit defeat and curse dell or learn how to patch a kernel. The latter option is not for the faint of heart. It took me 4 years of playing with Linux before I ever played with the kernel.

(I will probably get flamed for adding the part about giving up, but sometimes the battle is just not worth the casualties.)