updates CD

arthur

Okay, since the amount of updates is already >400 megs for Mandrake 10.0CE, I'd like to make an updates CD for myself and some friends I want to convert to Linux. Could anyone point me to a mirror and maybe enlighten me on how to go about it? It would save so much time.

Mandrake 10 seems very nice...lots of eye candy ^_^

Your best bet is to wait a few months till Mandrake 10 Final/Stable/Official (whatever it is called) comes out and all updates are integrated into the official CD's. This will save you a lot of time in terms of updating and will also allow you to present the best possible product to your friends. What are they going to think if you install the OS and than have to install and additional 400 megs of updates just to get it to run correctly?

Guest Adriano

Up to this day, I have downloaded more than 600 MB of updates. Most of them are reupdates, and such stuff. My advise is don't bother burning until official comes out. Post as many bug reports as you can (my tally is on 4) and write them carefully.

i did this for 9.2, and was going to start it up again for 10.0 (and also remake the 9.2)

i would just use the updates resource you get when you setup mandrake update in 10.0CE, download the updates folder and the proper hdlist files from the base directory. i intend to write a shell script to put on the CD that will do that updates itself...but haven't started on it yet.

(and also remake the 9.2)

I think that would be a great thing to have available at this time. I read something about a 9.2.1 version that was released to club members, but I can't seem to find this available to the public. A 9.2.1 version would be good for those wanting a new shiney Linux and are hesitant to install version 10 RC --- eh, I mean 10 CE. Anyone know anything about how to snag this 9.2.1 version?

Ok- So it might be wise to wait for the official release but if there are security updates etc. should we be keep on waiting? I usually build my rpms from the SRPMs and thus a repository of just the updates ( as it exists for all the other releases) would be immense helpful . As of now, I am yet to find one for Mdk 10.0CE. If such a thing exist, please enlighten me. ( If it does not, then the argument in favor of treating CE as RC becomes stronger.)

Thanks.

A.

Guest Adriano

sure, the thing is that your shiny new CD with the 2.3.2-233 version of frobapp would be rendered useless in a matter of days by the new 2.3.2-234 and 2.3.2-235 reupdates. Ditto for the rest of the 700 MB you burned. I've seen up to this day 2 updates to Mozilla (each a 16 MB pack). Yesterday a new kernel-source was out (without the compiled kernel pack, so I didn't download).

This is why I recommend to avoid burning something now... You'll end up with a coaster.

just a thought...

i agree about the burning of cd's of updates seems pointless with the volume of updates released almost daily

- however [and i am fairly new at this]

with the onset of bit torrents and p2p technology whats the harm of thinking outside the 127.86 sided box [again is not this the linux way?] and getting some form of share going

in a form someone can get [ a base update file/subdirectory-structured and packed in a zip or something - not iso'ed form] from us the shared community and then just add/overwrite the add ons when they are needed/available for an update of of our patch cdrw [do some kind of dated torrent to distinguish it's value so the old gets dropped continually replaced by the new

why make a cd when you can rewrite - most do have cdrw these days!

then again why burn it at all? can we not access a subdirectory/structure with all the updates in it to do the updates?

or am i way off?

looking forward to get this ce up[many failures so far] - rite now i have 3 drives -

80G - xp-plain / freebsd5.2.1 / suse9.(0/1) / mdk10ce

20G - xp - loaded

160G - empty waiting [i also have a lost partition i need back off this drive b/4 i use it again][don't have the $$ to pay for these part/recovery progs]

system -- AV7 amd.500 usb.mouse usb.hub/sandisk.drive/hpcamera ati.ragefurypro128 generic.firewire.card dvd[rw] 1\2G.mem

NetKinex