Suse Linux 9.1

SuSE 9.1 Release

"SUSE LINUX 9.1 will be available at store.suse.com and from bookstores and software suppliers on May 6. The recommended retail price of SUSE LINUX 9.1 Personal (two CDs, installation guide, 30 days of installation support) is $29.95. SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional (five CDs, two double-sided DVDs, user guide and administration guide, 90 days of installation support) is $89.95. The update edition of SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional is $59.95."

Newsforge

Eweek

Mad Penguin

The Register

"Novell today unveiled SUSE LINUX 9.1 Personal and SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional, the first complete commercial Linux products based on the 2.6 kernel, providing the only significant retail Linux products on the market."

I downloaded, burned and tried the 9.1 Evalution CD today (found the link on Groklaw).

For me it was pretty impressive: detected and set up all of my hardware correctly, nice layout and fonts (although a little too *busy* for me) and I noticed especially:

- Really good start menu layout. Almost everything made immediate sense to me.

- The programs included are many to make it kind of an all-round distro

- It autodetected my internet connection and set it up correctly. First non-debian distro to do that.

My only gripes are:

- It seems like the SuSe config (Yast?) took forever to install/configure/load to the point where you get the KDE login.

- No commercial codecs for Kaffeine. I was a bit surprised at first when I tried to play a movie, but only got sound. It wasn't until later when I read the release notes that I thought of that.

- (well, not exactly a gripe): the fonts aren't as good as in Mandrake 10. Very readable, yes, but Mandrakes are still better IMHO

Looks very professional, however.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

I downloaded, burned and tried the 9.1 Evalution CD today (found the link on Groklaw).

For me it was pretty impressive: detected and set up all of my hardware correctly, nice layout and fonts (although a little too *busy* for me) and I noticed especially:

- Really good start menu layout. Almost everything made immediate sense to me.

- The programs included are many to make it kind of an all-round distro

- It autodetected my internet connection and set it up correctly. First non-debian distro to do that.

My only gripes are:

- It seems like the SuSe config (Yast?) took forever to install/configure/load to the point where you get the KDE login.

- No commercial codecs for Kaffeine. I was a bit surprised at first when I tried to play a movie, but only got sound. It wasn't until later when I read the release notes that I thought of that.

- (well, not exactly a gripe): the fonts aren't as good as in Mandrake 10. Very readable, yes, but Mandrakes are still better IMHO

Looks very professional, however.

Darkelve

Where is the cd at?

afaik, it aint out there.

SuSE 9.1 Professional has the 64 bit version for AMD64 and Athlon 64 on one of the DVDs. The other DVD and the 5 CDs have the 32 bit version.

This could get me to switch to SuSE.

SWEEEEEET Deal, with both 32 and 64 bit versions in one package!!!

Incentive to build an Athlon 64 system???? Oh, no, not another computer! :cheesy:

My only gripes are:

I scoured the SuSE site over the weekend and could not find the 9.1 LiveEval CD image. I also scoured some mirrors and couldn't find it either. If you know a link, do us a favor and post it!

Regarding taking forever to load, it is a LiveEval CD. To be fair, you should be comparing the load speed of the 9.1 LiveEval CD to the 9.0 Live Eval CD.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaargh.... calm down you guys!

it was SuSe 9.0 Evaluation CD I downloaded and tried, from here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-eval-9.0/

And you can find it in THIS article:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2...4047434#c102362

My mistake was: I really *thought* it was the latest version (9.1)...

Should I really be hanged for this? I know, maybe I can take away three letters of my name:

Dar---ve

Sheesh... I hope you were joking 'cause I don't enjoy being called a TROLL!

Edited by Darkelve

Darkelve, I can't hold any grudges against anyone for a typo, so I apologize for calling you a troll.    I mistakenly assumed that you were just yanking our chains by telling us that you had something that nobody else had.    :jester:

Windependent: apologies accepted :D

In fact, to make up for the mistake, here's another link for us distro-hoppers:

http://www.distrowatch.com/?newsid=01482

http://shop.xandros.com/product_info.php?c...&products_id=73

Now don't hang me if this is wrong, I got it litteraly from Distrowatch and as far as I know it is NOT April's Fool :P

However, you do have to register. And it's limited for 30 days.

Distrowatch:

"A fully functional 30-day trial edition of Xandros Business Desktop 2.0 is now available for free download: "This is a 30 day evaluation version of the Xandros Desktop OS Business Edition. It is fully functional for 30 days and includes a PDF of the abridged User Guide. The guide includes instructions on installing and configuring Xandros Desktop OS as well as procedures for using the Windows networking capabilities. To download this product, you must enter your real e-mail address so that the download links can be sent to you." More information...."

And I'm really downloading it too!

[Edit: and it's downloading real slow... in fact, I already had to resume 3 times :( ]

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve