Network/internet connection

Ixthusdan

I can't figure this out. I have always had a very fast net connection, and linux cruises faster than windex. But not now. Every web page takes 5-6 seconds to load, and if there is a large amount of graphic content, like our sight, it takes a minute.

I have no firewall running in Mandy 10. I get my internet through a router which is connected to my dsl line. Oddly enough, my download speeds are still good. averaging 89-94 kbps. The only problem that I have noticed is in the network setup. I can't get Mandy to not read my router as a dns. In the past. all I needed was the dhcp server, which the router does, and no dns, gateway, or anything else. But Mandy is identifying 127.0.0.1 as a dns and also 192.168.2.1 as a dns, of which neither are. I'm stumped. I have done all updated to 10ce, and have seen some smaller issues go away, but this one won't budge.

As you guessed, looks like a name resolution problem. It search on wrong dns address before finding the right one.

from memory as I'm not on linux now, where to look:

/etc/resolve.conf

/etc/sysconfig

/etc/sysconfig/network-scrips: there is also some config files there, not only scrips

can't help more yet

good luck

Update.

I tried every imaginable configuration in kde to fix my speed on the net, but to no avail. Out of bordom, I launched into gnome and epiphany. Guess what? Speed city!! So, what in the world do I look at in my kde files to correct this issue? Or do I just wipe my settings and let kde start up again?

It's probably your .kde settings then. If you installed previous versions of KDE, know that KDE 3.2.x and KDE 3.1.x have different settings (as I found out using KDE 3.2 in PCLinuxOS). I always rename my .kde directory to .kde-bak before restarting a major revision of KDE, and so far.. no problem. Then I copy back important stuffs like calendar and kppp settings.

I have seen the same thing with mozilla and konqueror.

This was on a clean install so no old config files.

Not dns problem, at least using ping etc all work as fast/well as normal.

Looking around it is apparantly only when you have a 2.6 kernel, the 2.4 supplied with 10(apparantly i havent tried it yet) has no internet problems.

Yes, the 2.4.25-2 kernel is internet friendly, and the new kernel is a dawg!! I guess for the time being I'm not using the newer kernel, at least not until I see a new version of it.

Ix, I've seen more complaints about this.

One observation was: this happens when using a router and *static* lan ip's.

One workaround was:

Replacing the internal dns server (the router adress, for example 192.168.xxx.x) with the external dns server's ip of your ISP (in resolv.conf - unsure about it)

Might be worth to try.

Add info: I am using a router which serves dyn. lan ip's with no problems.

One general question. Do you see a difference in speed, besides the net problem, between the old and the new kernel?

anna

I have a dhcp sever on the router, which works fine. Mandy has never hicupped about it. I tried to use the dns on the net, but it did not alter the terrible slow-down. I did notice that kde boots significantly faster with the 2.4.25-2 kernel, but I also know that if there are networking problems, kde acts sluggish. All my original settings work fine now.

Actually, My router is a firewall, and I did not like giving my pc an address on the net for dns. It should look nofurther than the router. More confusing, according to mcc, the setup is identical to the 2.6.5 kernel, but it works! I don't get it.

Work around ripped from linux questions site.

Works for me.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/151046

There seems to be alot of this going on lately. The consensus seems to be that ipv6 is causing it. If you want to disable ipv6 you just add the following line to either /etc/modules.conf for 2.4 kernel or /etc/modprobe.conf for 2.6 kernel.

alias net-pf-10 off

Hey, hey!

The latest kernel, 2.6.3-7mdk, does the trick. Internet runs great and Nvidia compiles with the lates sources. I think we are now in the home stretch. :thumbs:

I think there's a couple things going on here. My internet speed is OK except any browser would take forever to download certain graphics from certain websites. For example, on slashdot there's an add at the top for sun servers that would take forever to load when using kde. When using gnome or icewm, the page loads fast but w/o that add being displayed at all :screwy: I edited modprobe.conf for the ipv6 problem per johnnyv's above post and the problem disappeared :headbang::headbang: Thanks for the tip johnnyv :D