putting along with glxgears

scoopy

My frame rates drop after installing newer nvidia drivers. This has been a problem with my system with both 9.2 and now 10.

Using a RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro card,

...with no nvidia, using "nv" I get about 160 FPS (default XF86Config-4)

...with nvidia, I only get about about 60 FPS (edited XF86Config-4)

previously was running NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run with 9.2 and was getting 320 FPS, and got the same results when I tried to upgrade nvidia.

currently have the 5328 patched for 2.6 version installed in Mandrake 10. Have also tried installing MESA and libMESA

any ideas what is wrong ?

I also have a gf4 and sometimes when I install the nvidia drivers, it works great, and sometimes it does just what you guys are taking about.

I would suggest two things.

1. If you are using an nvidia rpm, go get the current .bin installer from nvidia and stop torturing yourself. I don't know why so many linux people insist on doing everything the hardest way possible. It's like using mozplugger for RealMedia, just get the stupid player from the company that designed the content and be done with it.

2. If you are using the proper installer, just reinstal. If that fails, re-download and reinstal.

Like I said, I had that problem a couple of times and in each case, it turned out to just be a glitch in the installation.

This is not uncommon though. For a while, the best drivers to use, for linux or windows, where several steps behind what were the latest ones. I am not sure how much this has changed as I have not upgraded my NVidia drivers in quite a while. I found a set that worked great with my system and I have just stayed there.

Just because the drivers are newer does not in anyway mean that they will be better. In fact, it is not uncommon for nvidia to go through a couple of bad driver releases before getting ones that are substantially better. (At least this has been true in the past). If you don't the drivers than simply go back to a set that you did like and stay there until the next release comes out.

in my case you're lookin at several distros, a few versions at that all with several versions of nvidia drivers. I have done it all....bin, rpm, tar, src.rpm, source from .new installer, kernels, module.conf mods, bios....you name it.and it's always the same. 300fps

Edited by bvc

Fuzzy, you are correct, but let us not forget you can get the proper instaler from nvidia for any past version.

BVC, that sucks. Your video card and my mobo should get together. I bet they'd get along real nice.

thanks guys, but I think we needed a patched version that nVidia doesn't offer on its site.

But I am making progress here...

To recap, After installing MDK 10, my frame rates got worse after installing the nVidia drivers.

To get the rate back on par with previous installation, and get back my 300 plus rate:

1) Download a patched driver for kernel 2.6 from:

http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/

2) install as SU without X running

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

2) exit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by changing two lines:

Driver "nv" --> replace "nv" with nvidia

Load "glx" # 3D layer --> replace "glx" with /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so

so the trick was to use the patched driver and also to use the full path to glx.

Hi,

I've also got a TNT2, the problem is that the newest nvidia drivers automatically enable vsync, which is great for newer video cards, but makes our crappy TNT2s even slower than normal ;)

You need to disable vsync, try running glxgears with the following command:

__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 glxgears

It made a huge difference to my fps. If that works you can append

export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 to your /etc/bash script to automatically turnoff vsync.

Hope that works for you:

PS I found this solution on the pclinuxonline website, so I can't take any credit for figuring it out :)

Didn't work for me. Which drivers are we using --- the latest from nVidia's site or the patched version from elsewhere?

I tried the patched version of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg0.run and I ended up with about 60 FPS.

Had to back down to the patched NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496.pkg0.run to get my 320 FPS again.

nvidia's

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

-the first set of fps's is debian-unstable/kde3.2/default konsole/default glxgears window with an X resolution of 1280x1024

-the second set is all the same except the glxgears window in maximized.

Enabling Fastwrites has never made a diff though I haven't tried since disabling vblank becasue I lost everything a while back and can't remember the option to enable fast writes for modules.conf.

debian:~# glxgears

1924 frames in 5.0 seconds = 384.800 FPS

2456 frames in 5.0 seconds = 491.200 FPS

2453 frames in 5.0 seconds = 490.600 FPS

2453 frames in 5.0 seconds = 490.600 FPS

2432 frames in 5.0 seconds = 486.400 FPS

892 frames in 5.0 seconds = 178.400 FPS

233 frames in 5.0 seconds = 46.600 FPS

240 frames in 5.0 seconds = 48.000 FPS

240 frames in 5.0 seconds = 48.000 FPS

208 frames in 5.0 seconds = 41.600 FPS

205 frames in 5.0 seconds = 41.000 FPS

900 frames in 5.0 seconds = 180.000 FPS

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

debian:~# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

Driver:          AGPGART

AGP Rate:        4x

Fast Writes:  Disabled

SBA:          Disabled

debian:~# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge

Host Bridge:  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400 AGP] Host Bridge

Fast Writes:  Supported

SBA:          Supported

AGP Rates:    4x 2x 1x

Registers:    0x1f000217:0x1f000104

debian:~# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card

Fast Writes:  Supported

SBA:          Not Supported

AGP Rates:    4x 2x 1x

Registers:    0x1f000017:0x1f000104

debian:~# cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0

Model:        GeForce4 MX 440

IRQ:          16

Video BIOS:      04.17.00.69.00

Card Type:    AGP

Hi,

I used the latest unpatched drivers from Nvidia, with a fresh install of Mandrake 10.0 CE, with just the drivers I was getting about 100 fps on glxgears, disabling vsync brings it up to the 400-500 mark. (sorry I don't have the exact numbers as I'm at work so I can't check)