Can't boot on XP (fat32) after install mdk 10

ozp11

As I have read in mandrakeclubs forums, you need to change in your bios your HD from AUTO to LBA, havent tried it myself so i cant comment.

Good luck!

Yep, you're right. Hard disk's "mode" had to be changed from Auto-recognition to LBA-mode to make XP work again. I think this error should be also mentioned in errata, because I guess many people are just know trying this first semi-ready Mandrake as their first Linux distro. Many are keeping XP or other Windows also in their hard disks "just in case" or because there are some people who are for some reason more intrested of "what to do" with a computer instead of "how it's done"...unbelievable, but there are some, I've heard! :jester:

So if they face problems like this they will surely be attached even more to their Windows-systems. And I don't wonder their reaction...Mandrake guys really made my heart bumping...

feralertx, thanks for saving my day and sooooo many hours of my valuable spare time. So once again, everybody having problems combining MDK10CE and Windows (XP, at least), go to BIOS and do tasks mentioned before. Any other tricks to go round this problem are IMHO too radical and complex...at least for a beginner...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After you did the fixmbr at the repair console did you type "exit" or did you just reboot (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). I had exactly the same problem, only my XP is on an NTFS partition. Had to go back and fixmbr then type "exit at the last prompt and everything worked fine.

feralertx, thanks for saving my day and sooooo many hours of my valuable spare time.

It s my pleasure to have helped, same as many others do help me, am just a newbie after all.

I have the same prob at work :angry: its not a very good way to show your boss linux is best, the pc had NT before and we had to reinstall, he just went mad at me :furious3: , i guess we wont have linux in the office for a looooong time (by that time i didnt know about the solution).

This are the little things i just hate about MDK...

After you did the fixmbr at the repair console did you type "exit" or did you just reboot (Ctrl+Alt+Delete). I had exactly the same problem, only my XP is on an NTFS partition. Had to go back and fixmbr then type "exit at the last prompt and everything worked fine.

I guess that question was made to me? If it was, I tell what I did:

After I read feralertx's solution from this board (If he would be nearby I'd buy him a cup of coffee...) I just booted my PC, pressed "Del" to go to BIOS before any OS were launched, chose "Standard peripherals" (or something) from BIOS menu and changed Hard disk's mode from auto recognition to LBA-mode. Saved changed settings, PC booted itself and when Lilo appeared I chose Windows from the OS-list and instead of blinking cursor seen before Windows XP loaded itself as usual.

This is what I did, maybe there are many other ways to go around this problem, but like I said this is surely the easiest one I've read...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I installed MDK10 on my laptop (HP ZE1115), and I ran into the same dual boot problem with XP. Now, I don't have my XP installation backed up, but I don't have any critical data on it either. However, I would hope that Mandrake would have some kind of fix for this -- like a software update to the partition tool to fix whatever it is they broke in the partition table. Wouldn't that be the best solution? I don't want to mess with the windows tools and end up breaking Windows and Mandrake both(!).

I'm willing to wait (for now) for Mandrake to release a patch, but from the several threads I've seen on this problem, no one has mentioned a patch to fix this rather evil bug.

- Joe

It will more than likely be fixed by the time the final is released in a few weeks. This is the type of error that can't just be passed over. If anything maybe they can revert back to the stuff used for 9.2 and just redress it for 10 if a fix can't be found before the final is finaly finalized and finally released.

And by "fix" I hope you mean something that will easily repair a broken installation...not just one that will not break an unbroken system.

BTW: I'm trying to install the new drakxtools (10-24, but 10-29 is the current so I'm looking for that) which according to bugzilla has such a repair fix...but I can't get urpmi to install it due to perl-Libconf dependency failures....stupid dependencies...

Edited by joeclark

• 3 months later...

I came across similar problems when reinstalling Mandrake 10 CE from a smallish partition in my first drive to a larger one in my second drive, and installing XP at the same time (on the second drive).

As well as losing my MBR, I also had partitions on my second drive start to misbehave.

I managed to sort it all out (reinstall Win 98 and XP), but I haven't got up the courage to reinstall Mandrake, which is a pity, as I had sorted out some initial issues with it, and was just starting to enjoy the experience of being Windows independant.

I am kicking myself that I didn't come across this forum when I was desperately searching for solutions. Otherwise I would have tried the LBA trick. Didn't see any mention of it elsewhere.

I am wondering whether the Official release has resolved these issues, as I will probably buy that and donate the CE version to my brother in law (fade to crazed laughter).

Horty

I am wondering whether the Official release has resolved these issues, as I will probably buy that and donate the CE version to my brother in law (fade to crazed laughter).

Same problem with 10 Official. AFAIK the problem comes when you change your partition layout with harddrake (mandrakes partitioning tool), so if you already have the linux partitions created -or if you create them with another tool before the MDK 10 installation- you will be fine.

Same problem with 10 Official. AFAIK the problem comes when you change your partition layout with harddrake (mandrakes partitioning tool), so if you already have the linux partitions created -or if you create them with another tool before the MDK 10 installation- you will be fine.

DOH.

Thanks for the feedback. While I didn't change any partition sizes, I did reformat my old Mandrake partition to FAT16, and convert the new Mandrake partition to ext2. This must have been enough to interfere with MBRs and so forth.

Horty

Really? 10 Official has this same problem? Are you sure? I thought it was fixed (where fixed == worked around the Windows issues or whatever). I remember "using Windows free space" to dual-boot install 10 Official on a machine and was pleased to find that it didn't do evil to it...maybe I got lucky or something?

Please don't give up on linux, I know you reinstalled but that was a very easy fix. Well anyways Best Of Luck and I hope you keep trying out linux.

Thanks, SW. I had too much fun tinkering with and sorting out teething troubles with Mandrake to give up on it.

In fact, I've actually grown quite fond of Mandrake in the couple of months I've used it. It's like an old Ducati or Moto Guzzi - full of character and idiosyncracies, and sometimes frustrating, but an absolute pleasure to take for a spin.

Having said that, I'll get the Official version though, before I reinstall, as soon as I find a local store that sells it.

Btw, is there a good freeware Windows or DOS based program that can format Linux partitions?

Regards,

Horty

Don't know if this helps but XP can often get legged up if it's disturbed (cloning in particular) and a simple fdisk and then setting the XP partition "active" - works a treat.

Sorry that this is not Linux really but helps on dual boot systems and at the moment I can only contribute some XP knowledge until I ge tup to speed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spolarium

I will try to install Mandrake 10 as a dual boot system with Windows XP SP1 but will put it on a separate hard disk.

I am just hesitant to do it because of this: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7959

It has a similar problem with FC2 and Windows XP as shown here: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4896

A solution seems to be here: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-deve...y/msg00908.html

And saw also this a possible solution: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-deve...y/msg00908.html

Edited by spolarium