9.1 boot problems

bigjohn

for reason's that I don't understand, my lilo has "given up the ghost".

I can only boot into my mandrake 9.1 install with a floppy now.

I don't seem to be able to use rescue to re-install the boot loader, and so I don't get the screen full of L99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 again, I've had to resort to re-storing the windows boot loader and booting mandrake via floppy.

If I try

#/sbin/lilo -v

It's telling me this

[root@johnsPC john]# /sbin/lilo -v

LILO version 22.4.1, Copyright © 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Development beyond version 21 Copyright © 1999-2002 John Coffman

Released 27-Jan-2003 and compiled at 11:11:26 on Feb  5 2003.

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda

Using MENU secondary loader

Calling map_insert_data

Mapping message file /boot/message

Fatal: open /boot/message: No such file or directory

[root@johnsPC john]

Any idea's how I can solve this please ??

regards

John

For Ixthusdan, I tried that straight away, but when trying to boot the mandrake install from the hard drive, I still got the L99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 reply when the lilo tried to start.

For Steve Scrimpshire, Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to wait till tomorrow before I try it (just about to leave for work - Nights! yum yum, I can't wait!) and report back.

regards

John

How about:

ln -s /boot/message-graphic /boot/message

lilo -v

that's if your'e using the graphical boot. If you use the text boot change to

ln -s /boot/message-text /boot/message

IF it says file already exist do;

mv /boot/message /boot/messageOLD

the try the symlink command again.

You can also edit lilo.conf to say

/boot/message-graphic

or

/boot/message-text

directly and bypass the symlink.

[root@johnsPC john]# vi /etc/lilo.conf

[root@johnsPC john]# /sbin/lilo -v

LILO version 22.4.1, Copyright © 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Development beyond version 21 Copyright © 1999-2002 John Coffman

Released 27-Jan-2003 and compiled at 11:11:26 on Feb  5 2003.

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda

Using MENU secondary loader

Calling map_insert_data

Mapping message file /boot/message-graphic

Fatal: open /boot/message-graphic: No such file or directory

[root@johnsPC john]#

As you can see, I did the suggested change to the lilo.conf to bypass the symlink, but it seems that there is no "/boot/message".

Which leads to the question, what is the boot message and where does the boot message go (I have a /boot/ partition).

regards

John

you could always try (if you haven't already) booting from MDK CD1, hit F1, type rescue at the prompt, hit enter, then choose the reinstall boot loader option, but don't use a /boot partition. put lilo in the mbr instead of a /boot partition.

Chris

Edited by chris z

Sounds like you are missing some important files in the install of your lilo pkg. It shouldn't matter whether you have a /boot partition or not, it should still find them. Try reinstalling lilo from your disks:

cd /location/of/lilo/pkg/on/your/disks

rpm -ivh --replacefiles --replacepkgs <<full name of lilo pkg>>

Guest emetib

i'm going to give this a shot for you.

john, put the message in your /boot partition.

cd /boot

ln -s message-graphic(or what ever) message

than ll it out. (ls -l)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jan 1 11:43 message -> message-graphic

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96382 Jan 1 11:23 message-graphic

go into your /etc/lilo.conf and make sure that your message and the boot="?" is correct.

boot=/dev/md0

map=/boot/map

vga=791

default="2421-26sec"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

raid-extra-boot="/dev/hda,/dev/hdc"

prompt

nowarn

timeout=10

message=/boot/message

dont' worry about mine being different than yours. i'm booting from raid, so your's will be /dev/hda. i wouldn't worry about trying to outdo the symlink.

do you have extra kernels installed? if you do then i would clean up your lilo.conf some to only have the kernels that you need in it. clean up your /boot also.

hopefully it's some help.

cheers.

I've been playing today, and I've re-installed lilo (well, I've installed the latest version - which is actually the 10.0 version) and I've got rid of the BOOT kernel copy that was in the /boot partiton.

I'll see what happen's when I re-boot, but that will be a while, as I'm in the middle of downloading the 3rd CD for 10 community (which is taking forever, though that's probably because the weathers crap at the moment, so everyones "plugging up the pipe").

I'll report back after I had a go at a reboot.

Thanks for the help so far.

regards

John

p.s. I'm still not convinced that I screwed things up with my attempt at a gentoo install, I'm starting to think that it may have been to do with installing the mdk BOOT kernel, so I could make a boot floppy??

Well, the re-installation of lilo has made no difference.

The variations of boot/message-graphic or text still tell me - no such file or directory.

So I thought I'd be a smart arse and just download mandrake 10 community. Great, that's done and the md5sum's all check out ok.

But I've now discovered another problem - I now don't have anyway of burning the damn disc's. This problem seems to have hosed my ide-scsi facility for my burner as well.

I can modprobe ide-scsi and it shows up with lsmod, but when I try cdrecord -scanbus It tells me

cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling

cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.

cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Though I've a sneaking suspicion that I might have screwed that when I tried to use k3b the other day (and failed).

So I'm currently stuck without any working lilo, booting from disc, with the 3 mandy 10 iso's in my home directory, and no way to burn them.

Any idea's what I can do next.

I also don't follow what emetib was trying to explain for me to do (I must be soooooo stupid :()

I'm going to try logging in as root and see if I can copy the iso's to my windows install (though I don't hold out much hope as my XP install is formatted as ntfs)

regards

John

so, how's this for "sod's law".

I spent last night downloading the mandy 10 iso's from one of the Dutch mirror's - this evening, when I check the md5sum, the first is incorrect, the 2nd and 3rd OK. So i spent 3.5 hours getting the first one again, and ended up with an identical incorrect md5sum - I burned a disc of it anyhow, just in case it was some sort of incorrect md5sum on the mirror, but the first disc won't boot - and I followed the errata's advice and booted with the second disc, but the install/upgrade started then hung.

Bugger, methinks, so I'm just downloading the 1st iso again, but from one of the french mirror's instead.

Yawn. Yet another night with no linux :(

regards

John

Just to end this thread, I've finally managed to get #10 community installed and sort of running. It's just a case of finishing the configuration etc etc

Many thanks for those who contributed idea's and suggestions

regards

John

p.s. I've also managed to get the nvidia driver installed without having to post any stupid questions :)