10 does not wanna boot

scoopy

My freshly downloaded ISO's don't want to boot.

The md5sums checked out:

d42231c6b9fc51628e239c222732133d  Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso

b8de38902ca851478f6bd938b9c57f27  Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD2.i586.iso

19c7e628a6da55adf7a84a06126c2ec4  Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD3.i586.iso

My box will still boot the 9.2 CD's. I tried burning the images with 2 different programs. My ISO's matched exactly with the bittorrent download posted elsewhere in this forum. The autorun.inf does its job if in windows ( even tho the \ are / this time )

So what's up ? Anybody else try booting these yet ?

Read my review, then find the errata page, then find that you have to boot from the second cd. Stick in the first when asked.

You have to boot from the second cd? Now that's obvious :P

Anyway, I downloaded the bittorrent version and was able to boot from the first CD. Although that is about as far as I got. Do maybe I will try booting from the 2nd CD.

I am glad I am not the only one having problem booting from the 1st CD. I had burnt 3 copies of the 1st CD under 2 Linux distro and one under Windows with same result: the dang thing wouldn't boot when trying on 2 PCs and one notebook. I had to create a boot floppy just to get the freaking thing to install. Yet, none of my PC would install using graphical installer. It just froze in the middle of installing packages. One PC is installed using text installer with a little problem: at the end of CD3, it asked for CD4 which I do not have.

I'll give the 2nd-CD boot a try tonight.

Booting from CD2 worked for me. Thanks aRTee !!! :D

Everything is working too... even my dreaded USB card reader. :thumbs:

Only two miner gliches that I have run into. 1) Install didn't test the mouse, and had to choose one for a wheel. (works now) and 2) I can't get my clock looking like I had it. ( who cares tho, will probably replace shortly with superkaramba anyway)

...and for future refs, this is now listed on the official errata page:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3

Hello all.

I got my 4CD set of Mandrake10 on Saturday morning (from LINUX SYSTEMS LABS Australia www.lsl.com.au). My own machine was down, awaiting a replacement Mainboard. Saturday evening I tried to do the usual Clean install on a friends computer, but it just would not bootup so I just dropped the idea until I received my own new mainboard yesterday. The install went without a hitch for Disk1 but when I put in Disk2 it was in for less than a minute and it called for Disk3 and kept asking for Disk3 even though I put it 5 or 6 times so I gave up and cancelled Disk3 then it called for Disk4 even though I also put it in some 5 or 6 times also so finally cancelled it as well.

The install continued to completion without any hitches, rebooted and soon I was in Mandrake 10 in my own old account.

I did a search for all my selected software and found quite a number were missing. I downloaded all 4 CDroms to a large spare partition and used MCC to set the huge file as a repository and had no trouble installing ALL the packages that I had wanted in my install.

It seems that I will have to do the Disk2 then Disk1 trick advised here on my friends computer, but I still cannot fathom the second problem of the #3 and #4 disks not being detected during the install, yet everything worked when I put all the 4 disks onto the HardDrive.

Anyone got some ideas on this aspect??? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

I've installed 10.0rc1 & 2, and 10.0 beta1 about 5 time total.

Yesterday i tryed to install 10.0 com on another comuter, and i wouldn't boot !

Same problem as you have described, but after a boot from cd2, when it ask for cd1, it just doesn't find it ! (burned 2 times, readable under 9.2).

I tryed with 1 cd reader, 1 dvd reader, 1 cd burner....

May be this has to do with ide configuration ?

If you had problem like mine, please write below you ide configuration :

mine :

iwill kk266r (via kt133a) chipset, hd on master ide1, cd on ide3 (tried master and slave), nothing on raid controller.