CSS, layouts and forms

phunni

I don't believe I am using position - my css

Some of the elements may be redundant - I'm still learning!

I think I may have to end up using tables after all - the annoying thing is that I'm not really sure how to re-create the design I had with tables.

I was only having a go at designing this in the hopes that I may be able to avoid paying a designer - the frustrating thing is that I will probably now have to pay someone to to the work that I have already done - is this because I did a bad job? No - t's because MS IE is the biggest pile of crap ever! (more so than any of their other products IMHO)

The other possiblilty is that I have a more simple design for IE5 and write the code into my Java that will display the appropriate page depending on the browser being used...

Edit - this is an argument for using XML for your content, you can then use XSLT to reformat the same data for different contexts. Unfortuantely only some of my content is in XML... not the forms

Edited by phunni

ooh, ooh! I fixed one of the main problems. I added a padding to my fieldset element and it all look much better in IE now!

my only remaining problems are (in order of severity):

1) The form fields and labels do not line up in IE5 - the field is displayed below the label.

2) The gap between labels and fields is large in either mozilla or IE running on windows

I feel like I have my faith restored in CSS through fixing one problem! I'm also still hoping to be able to do this myself without paying anyone for re-doning work I already did.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix these problems I would be VERY happy!

Edit: my css for reference is linked above - as is the site it is used on... - please note that only pages ending in .jsp use this css stylesheet - this is because its a development site and will be transferred to a new domain shortly

Edited by phunni

phunni

have you discovered the pixel percentage problem ??

question: I have a div that is 100px wide, and in side that div I have 3 span's that are 33% wide ... where does the extra pixel go to?

answer: well it depends on your browser/OS/resolution etc etc etc ... nobody knows really