Upgrading Mandrake

Salamandra

I would really want to have the time to take Linux to the edge and crash my system again and again (learning in the process) but for now it's not possible :(

Other possibility is to own another PC to play with. Not possible for now either :(

(Well to be truth, I have an old P-I 64, 64MB and 1.2GB Hard Drive but I don't think Mandrake will run on that using GUI. Corel Linux works fine on that.)

Well guys, have any of you tried Mandy 10 ???

Regards,

Salamandra

(* So wives are kind of a problem... I will think twice before I engage.. :woops: *)

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...x10ReleaseNotes

Upgrading

urpmi can now do a distribution upgrade simply by adding urpmi sources for the 10.0 dist tree or cd's and then running 'urpmi urpmi' then 'urpmi --auto-select' and finally 'urpmi kernel' to install the new kernel.

and then running 'urpmi urpmi' ????? :o :o

ok? :unsure:

I don't recall seeing that in the man or --help :huh:

Salamandra, about that old pc, one option would to be run, Peanut Linux. I hear it's really god for older systems with limited resources and I also heard it was pretty user friendly. I believe there are a fewppl here that have used it. I remember when I first got Linux, I was able to crash it several times as I was going through the learning curve, but now I haven't had it crash on me for at least 1 1/2 years.

Upgrading

urpmi can now do a distribution upgrade simply by adding urpmi sources for the 10.0 dist tree or cd's and then running 'urpmi urpmi' then 'urpmi --auto-select' and finally 'urpmi kernel' to install the new kernel.

and then running 'urpmi urpmi' ????? :o :o

ok? :unsure:

I don't recall seeing that in the man or --help :huh:

No, I've never come across that till I saw it on the developers release notes page which I referenced,

That's why I thought it was worth posting here.

Sort of makes sense though, to update the updating tool to the new version first, doesn't it ?

I mean, if you're going to make massive changes to your system with 'urpmi --auto-select', then wouldn't it be better to use the most up to date version of urpmi to do it ?

Sort of makes sense though, to update the updating tool to the new version first, doesn't it ?

I mean, if you're going to make massive changes to your system with 'urpmi --auto-select', then wouldn't it be better to use the most up to date version of urpmi to do it ?

no actually, it doesn't. Rpm and family has always been one of those 'don't til ya have ta'. When I have an rpm and family that's working just fine, upgrading them is very low on my todo list.

Edited by bvc

When I have an rpm and family that's working just fine, upgrading them is very low on my todo list.

I totally agree with that - especially since new versions of rpm have been known to cause problems (such as the menu bug in 9.2, I think...)

But since the discussion was how to upgrade the entire distro, you'd get those new versions at some point in the process anyway, with a clean reinstall, or, presumably, the installer program's upgrade option.

So I thought I'd show the poster an alternative from the distribution release notes which he might not have seen.

Personally - I'd clean reinstall, but to each his own...