Need some HELP

NecroScumBag

I have a couple question regarding linux. OK, Motherboard.. Which would be a preferded chipset for a motherboard. VIA or Nforce. Also video card. Which would I find the best support or driver advailiblity for Gfroce or ATI. Any suggestion would be Thankful. Also I am looking at price tag of $800. Keep in mind with your suggests.

It seems that many people here had problems with the nForce chipset (see the Random Freezing thread).

As for videocard, if you want hardware acceleration, unified drivers for nvidia are a charm to install and work well. One driver for all GeForce cards, you can even change your card without having to reinstall the driver. I heard bad things about ATI on linux, but no first hand experience.

via/nvidia

Epox or Gigabyte for good boards that are more reasonably prices than Asus or Abit, which are good and expensive, relatively speaking.

I'm not up to date as for mother boards.

If you want to check out nvidia cards performance against each other or against ATI cards, maybe this Tom's Hardware article would be useful.

Basically a GF4 MX440 offers you the best bang for your buck (low-end card); as for middle-range cards, the FX5700 seems to be acclaimed; as for high-end cards, nvidia's top-of-the-line is the FX5950 Ultra.

If you find any GF4 Ti4x00, they are among the best vidcards ever; however they lack DirectX 9 support (not an issue if you're using Linux only of course) and may be slower than equivalent-priced FX cards if you use FSAA and such.

Edited by neutro