Modem Help

gentry_joey

Ok I seem to like Linux so far in looks but holy crap its harder than hell to make it work. All my drivers installed with linux but I cant get my modem to work. Its actually listed under unknown devices though. Ok Im running a intel 536ep modem and I got the latest drivers (mandrake 9.1). Will those work with 9.2. I tryed t install them and when I got to the command "make 536ep" it said I needed to install source kernel. Ok so I went and downloaded 2.6 kernal from kernal.org. Well now Im haveing troubles with it. I got everything working then it said an error about modules-init-tools. So I downloaded that and guess what? Its giving me an error about insmod.something. Ok so what do I do. I would also like to know what an RPM is. I downloaded a modutils or something with that extension.

Sounds like to me, you've downloaded the new kernel itself. What you need is the kernel source to match with the version in Mandrake 9.2. If you go to Mandrake update, I believe you can get the kernel source there. It's something like kernel-source.2.5.i586.rpm or something like that. It is a pretty big file so it will take a while. Once that is installed, then you should be able to install the drivers no worries.

As for what is an rpm, i'll refer you to the Mandrake Docs section at http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/ for the answer. There is heaps of info about Mandrake Linux and all the different packages to install as well as many other things. It's a little old, but the info is stil relevant.

Edited by spiedra

To be clear, the kernel-source must match the kernel. The file you listed is not the stock kernel for 9.2. So, unless you have changed your kernel (which you certainly can do) that particular file wuld not be what you need.

Anytime you compile a program/driver/file on your machine, the sources for the running kernel must also be installed.

Download the new kernel and the sources. As root in a terminal:

urpmi kernel-sources-2.6.xxxx.i586.rpm

Then install the kernel:

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.xxxx.i586.rpm

You will have a new selection in lilo for starting with the new kernel. Rmember that if you are using nvidia drivers, you will have to recomile the drivers before you can go into x.

Edited by Ixthusdan

Ok well I installed the rpm and WOW! It worked. Im online and my new nvidia drivers are updated. w00t. Thank you to everyone espeacially to salamandria for the link although I didn't use it I got the same exact file somewhere else. I appreaciate everyones help. Linux is just gettin better.

Edited by gentry_joey

• 3 weeks later...