urpmi help

Ghil Vertefeuille

I'm trying to add some URPMI sources.

so I do urpmi.removemedia -a to erase the old (Installation CDs)

then I do the easy urpmi config, one line at a time. The first time all went well, but each time I wanted to do an urpmi, it gave me an error saying that it was outdated. so I redo a

urpmi.remove media -a, then reinstall...i did it like 10 times and each time it gave me that the contrib was outdated, or something like that. I tried many servers, nothing..I'm trying again, but I doubt it will be different than the others...someone can help me?

i'm not entirely sure, but i get that sometimes too. some of the contrib sites can be buggy, or just as the message is telling you, they can be out of date & the hdlists are no good. i'd suggest adding non contrib sources first, then try different contrib sources last until you find one that works for you. might i suggest the contrib source right here in the forum dowloads section? that always works fine for me.

Chris

instead of using CLI, just for shits & giggles try adding the contrib source using GUI. open MCC (Mandrake Control Center)->software->sources manager->add. when the "add" dialogue box opens up, choose the "ftp" option button at the top for your source type. copy the ftp source location address from your browser into the location address box in the add dialogue box. for example, the ftp contrib source from the forum here would be.......

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Mandrake/stable/Contrib/

that's what you'd copy & paste. give the source a name of your own choice in the "name" dialogue box. leave the hdlist & all other options blank. click "save". it should add the source, build the hdlist automatically, & add it to your source list. when it's done, click "save" to exit software sources manager.

if that method doesn't work, then i'm running out of ideas. :unsure:

Chris

The original urpmi and mandrake tool files were buggy in 9.2. Have you updated those files? If not, that's your problem!

I've found all the contrib sites give hdlist errors so I downloaded the entire contrib tree and tried to make a new hdlist. I got an error relating to one file; I think it was one of the kernels. It's been a while since I did this. When I deleted that file, I could create an hdlist w/o the error message. The bottom line is there appears to be one file on the contrib sites that is causing the problem. If you delete it, you can make a hdlist that doesn't give those annoying hdlist update errors.