HD issues...

fred_the_fish

Its not strictly a Mandrake issue this, but does anyone have any experience of Diamond Max +8 drives?

Mine this morning decided to stop working (BIG problem as it contains the linux boot etc...) I downloaded maxtors powerMax, and it reported that the SMART failed, but couldn't get any further through tests than that - when it tried to fix the error, it reported passed, but then rescaning it picked the error up again.

I was in the process of filling out a ROM (or whatever its called :P), when I found I needed something from the drive, so I turned off the machine, and rebooted, and strangley, after refusing to be deteted by any other pc (read 5 others..) it now works again??!! I am currently in a hasty back-up process - thank the lawrd I have a DVD burner :D... but if anyone has any ideas as to what is wrong so I can possibly fix it, rather than send it back to maxtor - cause I will loose my linux and have to rely on windows until they send a replacement... :*(

Steps I've taken :

- tried different UDMA cables...

- tried different power cables...

- tried different jumper positions...

- tried the drive in different pc's...

- run Maxtor's PowerMax...

- tells me that the file read has failed, and that SMART is broken...

- offers to fix SMART, but repair fails

I plug it in again this evening and it works again? - obviously, I'm not guaranteeing to myself that it will continue to work, so a hasty databack-up is being done....

It is either a chip failure (SMART) or it could also be a hardware failure. My gut guess is hardware, because it seems to do better after being cooled and bumped a bit. Replace it. If you run into trouble with errors while getting your data, put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it overnight. B)

I have used PowerMax successfully a few times now, but have always gotten the "success" message afterwards.

I would not trust storing any data on that drive and would feel better getting the replacement.

I love that freezer trick... yes, it's for real. :thumbs: