Server recommendations

phunni

I'm considering buying a server to host a couple of web sites. It will probably run apcahe, tomcat and mysql plus admin tools

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get reasonably priced, but good quality servers - ideally available in the UK!

I took a quick look at Dell - but I reckon I can get cheaper options elsewhere...

Obviously it must be 100% Linux compatible!

Phunni,

The main question is probably if you want to buy a hosted server, just web space or etc.

OR host everything in your own home.

If you do the first two then you wont have much option anyway. However you might( still want to consider it because if you expect a lot of traffic then a DSL connection from home isnt going to go very far.

So if you look at what is will cost to have a second DSL connection specifically for the site it ends up in the same ballpark but with a lot less bandwidth.

Next question is if you are looking for a commercial hosting service,

Do you need to guarantee uptime ?

If you do this from home the server doesnt have to be THAT reliable to be more reliable than the home DSL service!

Spending a lot extra on a true server class machine is a questionable investment.

My home server is just a old desktop. 2x 80GB RAID array in SW so if everything screws up I can STILL get the data and stuff off it!

Its not even anything fancy, in fact the less fancy the better.

No audio, seperate NW cards etc and its an old Matrox Millenium 8MB graphics cqrd which is more than enough for console. USB /serial/parallel is turned off etc. etc.

As much as anything the machine has been running linux for years so I know its stable etc.

If you buy one specially then your never 100% sure everything is supported.

Even for tomcat you dont need a leading edge CPU.

So Id choose more based on a good PSU with extra power ratuing etc. than by brand.

Phunni,

The main question is probably if you want to buy a hosted server, just web space or etc. 

OR host everything in your own home. 

Definately wanting to have my own server. I currently have my site hosted and an associate also has his site hosted with the same people.

We are both having problems and thinking it would be easier to club together and have our own machine...