Screensavers

Guest anon

Read this on mdkforum:

(Contributed by fischerz)

On http://www.reallyslick.com you can find some of the nicest screensavers available on the net. There was just on disadvatage till now: they were just available for windows :( Now the good thing: On June 25, 2002 decided to license the screensavers under the GPL. So it was just a matter of time till they were available for linux. This time is over and the Really Slick Screensavers Port to GLX is released. A mandrake package is also available allready. For screenshots look at http://www.reallyslick.com

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to use xscreensaver for this to work, and need to edit the configuration of the xscreensaver manually for the options to come out. I kinda wish that whoever pack the rpm do it automatically, but oh well.

Anyway, the screensavers are really nice, but it takes 100% cpu powers :shock: I think I'll stick with the simpler Kfireworks3d so I can leave the rest of the cpu power to seti :)

You need to use xscreensaver for this to work, and need to edit the configuration of the xscreensaver manually for the options to come out. I kinda wish that whoever pack the rpm do it automatically, but oh well.

Anyway, the screensavers are really nice, but it takes 100% cpu powers  :shock: I think I'll stick with the simpler Kfireworks3d so I can leave the rest of the cpu power to seti :)

1) Please post how to do this.

2) Build a new RPM yourself then. I assure it's not as easy as you would think...

Well.. the instructions are in mandrakeforum, but lemme just copy and paste it.

For using the screensavers with xscreensaver, add the following lines to your ~/.xscreensaver file manually:

GL: cyclone --root

GL: euphoria --root

GL: fieldlines --root

GL: flocks --root

GL: flux --root

GL: helios --root

GL: lattice --root

GL: plasma --root

GL: skyrocket --root

GL: solarwinds --root

GL: colorfire --root

GL: "Hufo's Smoke" hufo_smoke --root

GL: "Hufo's Tunnel" hufo_tunnel --root

GL: sundancer2 --root

goban -root

Then to activate it in kde

If you wish to use XScreensaver in KDE instead of KSS, disable screensavers in KDEs control centre, and put the following script in ~/.kde/Autostart/ to start xscreensaver on login:

# !/bin/sh

xscreensaver -nosplash

Save it as xscreensaver-start.sh or some such.

If you wish to activate it the command is 'xscreensaver-command -activate'

To configure it from KDE, type

'xscreensaver-demo' or 'xscreensaver-command -prefs'

I am not sure how this work actually because I don't use xscreensaver in kde (I use it in gnome though and it works there).

werd.

Hmm.. what does that mean? The screensaver is weird or it's weird that you cannot find the link?

Oh wait.. you said werd.. errr.. what does that word mean? :wink:

hehe. sorry sometimes I forget I'm not talking to my everyday people!

Thanks for the link!!! 8)